Advice for a HCH?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2018, 02:05 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Advice for a HCH?

Originally Posted by pasadena_commut
Let's see how much you drive if that would only save you 100 euro a month. In most of Europe gas is around $7/gallon, euro is 1.15 dollars, hybrid avg mpg ~40, conventional ~25. Let X = miles driven per month: 115=7X/25 - 7X/40 => X = (115*40*25)/(7*15) => X = 1095 (miles). Pretty average for the US, not sure about where you are. If you drove twice that much the hybrid might be a win, even with the expensive repairs.

Do you live in a region where the little turbo diesels are still allowed? Those get pretty good MPG and so long as your country doesn't ban them it might make economic sense to drive one. The regulatory uncertainty should have driven their prices way down over the last year or so.

As for back seat leg room, well, I can sit relatively comfortably in the back of my 2003 Civic, but I am only 5'8" and I would not want to spend hours there. The back seat in the one Prius cab I took had more leg space. My neighbor has a Fiat 500, and the back seat only looks suitable for small children or maybe a cat.
Diesels are very expensive to drive. Taxes on them are double that of a regular car, and depending on age etc, they are not allowed everywhere. Unless I drive loads, diesel is just bad a deal.

Honestly I don't like spending hours in any car haha.

For me it really is about getting gas prices down, we are paying about 1,60 euro per liter at cheap pumps, that's about 7,25 euro per gallon, that's 8,30 usd.
I get that in the US repair costs are important, and sure they are here as well, but gas is so expensive here, whereas repairs are about the same, we in fact require less repairs due to high quality roads.

Old 10-03-2018, 03:57 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Neroon
I get that in the US repair costs are important, and sure they are here as well, but gas is so expensive here, whereas repairs are about the same, we in fact require less repairs due to high quality roads.
As long as the road is paved and not heavily rutted the CVT is not going to care, and the IMA certainly won't care. The biggest variable I think would be the cost of a replacement IMA battery. Bumblebee here sells them for around $2200 (have not checked the price in a while), who sells them in Europe and at what price? You do NOT want to buy one from Honda. As far as I'm concerned on any but a very recent HCH a CVT failure is pretty much grounds for junking the car. Sure, you can get one replaced, but it will be a remanufactured unit, it will cost at least $3k, and nobody can tell you how long it is likely to last.

Old 10-04-2018, 10:36 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pasadena_commut
The biggest variable I think would be the cost of a replacement IMA battery. Bumblebee here sells them for around $2200 (have not checked the price in a while), who sells them in Europe and at what price? You do NOT want to buy one from Honda.
Even a Bumblebee battery may not last very long, since they use cells made in China which are not up to the same standard as the original Panasonic NiMH cells made in Japan. Those original cells are unfortunately no longer made. The impression I get is that since NiMH is essentially obsolete technology, the quality of the cells on the market as degraded more and more as the years pass, the same way a new audio cassette deck today will be terrible and cheapy compared to one made in the mid-90s. Less demand means quality has to be cut to still make it viable.

A real solution would be for someone to figure out how to make a pack with Lithium Ion Batteries or Electrolytic capacitors, but I don't think there's enough impetus to make that ever happen sadly.

That being said, I'm satisfied with my relatively low-milage HCH2. It does get very good fuel economy, but it already has some quirks and I would be surprised if it's still working after 5 years.