Advise me a baby car seat for HCH please

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2006, 07:43 PM
aha
Active Enthusiast
Default Advise me a baby car seat for HCH please

Just wondering what baby seat that fits our HCH since the back seat is limited. I'm looking for the convertible style (5-60 lbs) so they are mostly quite big.

Old 02-28-2006, 04:51 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Advise me a baby car seat for HCH please

We have a Evenflo Triumph in the back of our Hybrid. Currently in the rear facing position. It fits fine - although I'm only about 5'-8" so the driver's seat isn't too far back. Actually it fits as well in the the Civic as it did in my 2000 Nissan Altima that I traded in for the Civic - and the Nissan is a midsized car. I don't think you'll have trouble fitting one in unless you're really tall and have the driver's seat back far.

Eric

Old 02-28-2006, 07:09 AM
Active Enthusiast

I've got a Simpson racing baby seat made by Graco. I would imagine for the most part they would all be around the same size, I would chose one based on safety, reviews, etc.

My daughter is now big/tall enough to kick the back of the ivory seats.

Old 02-28-2006, 07:46 AM

I've never had a problem with baby seats in my 03'. I say go on safety ratings as any car seat should fit (unless you are puting 3 side by side). I do two side by side with no problem.

Old 02-28-2006, 11:24 AM
Enthusiast

Any child safety seat should fit into the civic. Some are larger than others, but depending on where you place it and whether it is forward or rearfacing will determine how much leg room you will lose with the front passenger seat. For those who commented about it fitting behind the driver's seat with no problems I would suggest placing the child seat in the middle seating position if you only have one child seat that needs to be installed. The only drawback to the middle seating position is the fact you can't use the LATCH anchors. There is no trade off safety wise when it comes to the LATCH system versus the seatbelt system in the vehicle. The only advantage of LATCH over the seatbelt system is if you will be moving the child safety seat from car to car it is typically quicker to install using the LATCH system. If you do want to use a LATCH seating position, I would highly suggest the right rear seating position. Reasons being; if you parallel park you are standing on the curb to get the child out of the car, not in the middle of a traffic lane, if you need to glance briefly over your shoulder to check on your child it is much easier to see the right rear seating position than the left rear seating position which is directly behind the driver's seat, thiurdly, my experience with t-bone traffic accidents are that much vehicles which are t-boned are struck on the driver's side. Remember that when you enter an intersection, the traffic from your left is your first threat. Phew, with all that being said, choose a seat that is going to fit your needs best. Higher price doesn't mean safer. All seats on the market all pass the same government crash tests performed by NHTSA. If they didn't pass, they wouldn't be sold.

Old 02-28-2006, 03:50 PM
aha
Active Enthusiast

Thanks, I just checked out evenflo triumph, the design is similar to Britax but it's more than 1/2 of the price ! One thing about the evenflo/graco, they don't make one seat that can support 5-60 lbs, but again those who can do 5-60 lbs are bigger and may not fit our HCH for rear facing. I will have to decide this weekend.

Old 02-28-2006, 04:03 PM
aha
Active Enthusiast

ThinBlueLine....actually you provided interesting point of view. I talked to other parents and they suggested the seat behind the driver's seat so that they can enter the rear seat from the right side to get the baby otherwise they have to bend their backs to get the baby out. This won't apply to SUV/ taller vehicles, though.

Old 02-28-2006, 05:16 PM
Enthusiast

Aha- if I am not mistaken, Britax is the only company that makes seats that go up to or over 60lbs. Most max at around 40 lbs. At around 40 lbs children can usually move into a booster seat. That being said what you might want to look for is a seat that works rear facing, forward facing, and also converts into a booster. Evenflo alpha-omega is a great example of such a seat. Still not understanding what would be easier, to have to climb all the way through the car to get the child out from behind the driver's seat if entering through the right side of vehicle(passenger side) or to simply open the door and have the child sitting immediately infront of you on the passenger side. Either way, like I said it is a personal decision, just a differing view point.

Old 02-28-2006, 05:23 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ThinBlueLine
Aha- if I am not mistaken, Britax is the only company that makes seats that go up to or over 60lbs. Most max at around 40 lbs. At around 40 lbs children can usually move into a booster seat. That being said what you might want to look for is a seat that works rear facing, forward facing, and also converts into a booster. Evenflo alpha-omega is a great example of such a seat. Still not understanding what would be easier, to have to climb all the way through the car to get the child out from behind the driver's seat if entering through the right side of vehicle(passenger side) or to simply open the door and have the child sitting immediately infront of you on the passenger side. Either way, like I said it is a personal decision, just a differing view point.
And take the new seat to your local Fire Department for proper placement and installation..... ( they have to be certified to put in car seats here in Fla.

Old 03-01-2006, 08:19 PM
aha
Active Enthusiast

PriusGuy04 - your Prius has a killer look !!

Ok, it looks like it comes down to Britax VS Cosco Alpha Omega. I bought one Alpha Omega from the internet and it came damaged but that's for the van, the seat is quite large.

These are the only two well known brand for 5-65 lbs baby seat. I am leaning towards Britax because it seems to be more user friendly.