Alignment = much better MPG. PLEASE READ!

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 10:59 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Alignment = much better MPG. PLEASE READ!

Since taking delivery of my HCH in 8/05, I have noticed that the car jumps around in freeway lanes--something I've experienced here in southern california (we have grooves in many freeways). Previous cars have done this too, and a tire expert once said that it's the treads not meshing well with the road.
A lot of this may simply have to do with having low rolling-resistance tires, which do compromise traction to save drag. I have definitely noticed that on the stock (HCH-1) tires, they would tend to "follow" small grooves on the surface of the road, even after fresh maintentance work. This is no longer an issue now that I'm running different tires. This is noticably different than the effect of driving a lightweight car in wind, which usually kicks in most noticably when trying to overtake large 18-wheel trucks and passing through their draft, or when driving with a crosswind. However, lower-rolling-resistance tires would tend to exaggerate that effect also, as they won't resist side-to-side "blowing" as much.

Old 05-30-2006, 12:01 PM

My "alignment " issue went away when I inflated the tires to an equal 35 lbs all the way around.

That being said, the cars do get out of alignment in shipping and it is not part of the dealer prep. Be careful to follow the specs for the 2006 civic as many dealerships still have the 2003-2005 specs loaded and use those in error.

Old 05-30-2006, 03:22 PM
Active Enthusiast

The alignement is covered under warranty for the first year. I just had my car aligned by Honda. Take it to the dealer and complain about it. They did use the data from the 03-05! and gave me some BS about that being the same at the 06... I will probably contact Honda about that and have the car aligned at another place again.

Old 05-30-2006, 04:53 PM
Aneil Mishra, Ph.D.

Thanks for the tip -- I'm going to pay attention to my wheels from now on and see if I need an alignment.

Old 05-30-2006, 06:24 PM
Active Enthusiast

Perhaps your change in driving style and the additional mileage on the car (break in) contributed more to the increase in fuel economy than the alignment did. Proper alignment is important, but other factors may come into play as well. For many people, the first tank or two of gas do not provide great fuel economy, especially if you have never driven a hybrid before.

Old 05-30-2006, 06:40 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Double-Trinity
A lot of this may simply have to do with having low rolling-resistance tires, which do compromise traction to save drag. I have definitely noticed that on the stock (HCH-1) tires, they would tend to "follow" small grooves on the surface of the road, even after fresh maintentance work. This is no longer an issue now that I'm running different tires. This is noticably different than the effect of driving a lightweight car in wind, which usually kicks in most noticably when trying to overtake large 18-wheel trucks and passing through their draft, or when driving with a crosswind. However, lower-rolling-resistance tires would tend to exaggerate that effect also, as they won't resist side-to-side "blowing" as much.
Wow. Great to hear. Some of the symptoms you mention bother the crud out of me. What kind of tires did you get, and do you get comparable mileage??

Thanks for the info.

Lansing

Old 05-31-2006, 12:19 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Lansing
That's interesting.

Since taking delivery of my HCH in 8/05, I have noticed that the car jumps around in freeway lanes--something I've experienced here in southern california (we have grooves in many freeways). Previous cars have done this too, and a tire expert once said that it's the treads not meshing well with the road.

My first tank was 34mph, my second was 40mph, and it's gotten slightly better depending on circumstances.

Does anyone else feel the steering / road sensation is a little notchy or stiff compared to other cars? My earlier Hondas and Acuras did not have this...

Lansing
the jumping around you experience is typical of low rolling resistance alignment. the front alignment has zero toe... which means any groove in the road will make your car follow it. with toe in or toe out, your car is less neutral and will not follow all the grooves in the road.

Old 06-17-2006, 11:46 AM
Enthusiast

I wanted to bring this up again because it seems some of the US assembled Civic sedans have alignment from the factory that is so far off that the car is dangerous to drive. So far, it does not seem that anyone here has that extreme. Upon checking with my sources at Honda, the assembly process at the factory only relies on visually aligning certain marks on suspension components - they don't perform a true alignment.

So now, the question is if it's worth the $60-100 for an alignment since in most cases, any improvement will not significantly affect mileage to make up that cost. Also, in most cases, it's not off enough for dealers to do it under warranty.

Old 08-25-2006, 02:34 PM

Well, I had an issue with the alignment when I purchased the HCH II. The steering was off centered due to the car pulling to the left a little. So, I complained to my dealer I bought the car from when I did service “A” and they said that the alignment was a wear and tear item and I would have to pay for it. So, I took it to another dealer and lowered my tire pressure to the recommended 32 and aligned it. They said the alignment was way out of spec. I haven’t driven over any pot holes and such and all smooth roads. Well, they covered it under warranty. I never have had a problem with this dealer with all the Honda’s I have had even though I didn’t buy my car from them. Don’t you hate it when another dealer treats you better even though you didn’t buy your car from there?

The dealer said where I bought my car they didn’t do the tests that needed to be done before they deliver the car.

Old 08-25-2006, 09:49 PM
Enthusiast

It is funny that you have posted about this....I have been drive'n myself crazy thinking the Alignment on my Hybrid is off...or is it just the shape of the dash? It feels as though the cars wants to go to the right. ( How can this be, the car is new?)
On a flat even road it doesnt necessarly pull to the right but eventually will, but never to the left....

I rec'n I better check it out!
Thanks,
PPD

Quick Reply: Alignment = much better MPG. PLEASE READ!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands