AM radio sounds terrible

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2006, 05:32 PM
Enthusiast
Default AM radio sounds terrible

While we're still getting used to our new hybrid, one thing I haven't liked since we picked it up is the sound quality (or lack thereof) of AM radio. It sounds like you're listening through a tin can. FM sounds at least acceptable, but human voice quality on AM sounds hollow, distant, and flat. The car was in yesterday to replace the faulty door lock mechanism and I asked them to check AM function. They told me it was normal. Thoughts?

Last edited by SamIV; 02-08-2006 at 05:35 PM.
Old 02-08-2006, 06:33 PM
Owner of '06 HCH #7264
Default Re: AM radio sounds terrible

SamIV, I fully agree, but I also don't like the sound of FM on mine. I am by no means an audiophile and have always found stock sound systems acceptable, however the High Frequancies seem to sound distorted, almost like the speaker in the front was over driven. I need to listen a little closer and then if it still sounds bad, I will have them check it out when I take it in at 7500 miles.

Old 02-08-2006, 06:48 PM
Active Enthusiast

Mine sounds well... dunno AM, cos' i NEVER listened AM

Old 02-08-2006, 07:16 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

All bands sound terrible. I think it's a really cheap stock sound system. I guess that is way they are selling the bass system as an extra add-on.

Old 02-08-2006, 08:34 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I also took mine in for service to check out the radio reception, but for the FM band. The dealer said everything was normal and found no problem. I have had very poor reception on most FM stations. I will try and take it back one more time to get it fixed. If they don't do anything again, I am going to install an FM signal amplifier and inline static filter to fight the problem. I have the Navi, and even though the radio is a 'separate' part of the Navi it is unacceptable for a $1,500 unit.

Old 02-09-2006, 01:20 AM
MEAN TO BE GREEN ACTIVIST
Unhappy Re: AM radio sounds terrible

Just Curious,

Has anyone tried to compare the HCH II radio directly with a radio from another car? I mean same spot, same time, strong local signal, weak distant signal, AM & FM bands. My impression is that my radio has great sound , BUT poor reception . I have the bass boost. My guess is that it's the antenna, or noise filtering (do the IMA's generate intermediate frequencies?). Has the radio been a problem in previous HCH's?

Old 02-09-2006, 06:44 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Donald
Just Curious,

Has anyone tried to compare the HCH II radio directly with a radio from another car? I mean same spot, same time, strong local signal, weak distant signal, AM & FM bands. My impression is that my radio has great sound , BUT poor reception . I have the bass boost. My guess is that it's the antenna, or noise filtering (do the IMA's generate intermediate frequencies?). Has the radio been a problem in previous HCH's?
I have compared it with all the other vehicles in my family, but not another Honda. My reception was the worst. I have a $10 boom box in my basement with a broken antenna that gets better reception.

Old 02-09-2006, 07:09 AM
Active Enthusiast

I completely agree that the AM sounds awful compared with the FM. Thank goodness I only listen to news, not music on that band. The AM is my biggest complaint with the sound system. The FM and CD sound seem "normal"--not fabulous, but good enough.

Old 02-09-2006, 08:34 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Um, yeah... that's why they invented FM.

That's also why the only thing left on AM is talk radio and country - sound quality doesn't matter, it's still crap.

:-)

Old 02-09-2006, 10:19 AM
World's First Hybrid

Originally Posted by zimbop
Um, yeah... that's why they invented FM.

That's also why the only thing left on AM is talk radio and country - sound quality doesn't matter, it's still crap.

:-)
I'll bet that one of the reasons they put the antenna outside on the roof is because if it was in the back window near the battery you would get tons more high freq whine especially on AM when the IMA kicks in. Electric motor controllers are notorius for putting out a lot of RF interference. As it is, I hear the whine when the radio volume is turned very low. It's not very loud to my old ears but the XYL always complains. It comes right thru the speakers even with volume control turned way down. I would think that a good quality aftermarket system is much better. However, I can't complain because I only hear in mono...one ear is gonzo anway..

Quick Reply: AM radio sounds terrible

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands