Another HCHII hit.

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 02:30 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Another HCHII hit.

You can take all the snow driving safety precautions you want -- snow tires, driving like a granni, taking your time -- it won't stop an idiot from ramming into you at a stoplight.

I didn't see it coming. I was chatting with my passenger sitting at the red light after an interstate exit. BAM!

We both hit the headrests pretty hard and were stunned for sure.

We pulled up and out of the way. I was shocked at how little damage their appeared to be to both cars with the impact that we felt.

The crasher was driving a Forrester -- great traction with AWD! Doesn't help you stop any quicker.

Anyway, the cops showed up immediately (I don't know who called them) they wrote the other guy a ticket for "Following Too Closely" and gave us an accident report.

I went to a physical therapist over lunch so he could straighten out my neck before it locked up. He recommended a chiropractor and another visit with him on Friday. I did feel better immediately after the visit, but my neck has been hurting all day and my head has been pretty cloudy.

I called the other guy's insurance -- Progressive. So far, they have been very impressive. They seem willing to fix my car with OE Honda parts and to pay for my medical bills.

Several co-workers drove by the scene and didn't think much of it because of the lack of apparent damage to the cars. It was a bit surreal. An '07 Civic and a '06 Forrester -- 2 Best Picks for Crash Tests. Only upon closer inspection can you see my bumper has a long crack and the seams around the trunk isn't lined up. The trunk lid seems to be rising up a bit towards the back window.

Sorry for the long post.

nf

P.S. I wonder how my seat bracket mod would've held up. Kinda weird. I almost took time this morning to install the pieces.

Old 12-16-2008, 03:00 PM
Default Re: Another HCHII hit.

Wow! I'm glad that you're OK! (or at least at first glance you're ok--get yourself checked out).

That's the hardest thing about driving in the snow--I know that I can keep control, but there are lots of people you see who can't. I watched a G35 almost hit me this morning when he slid through a stop sign. Just when I was about to react, his tires caught and he stopped with his nose a couple feet past the stop sign--luckily there was a bike lane for a little extra room between us.

Old 12-16-2008, 03:52 PM

Hope your neck is OK. I guess you have not installed the new seat brackets yet! Would have been a test for them? Take care,H

Old 12-16-2008, 04:39 PM
Active Enthusiast

Yikes! Glad you're ok too. Also, I'm glad the driver was insured and that his/her company are being so cooperative. Good luck.

Jess

Old 12-16-2008, 06:13 PM

Sorry NF, I did not notice the PS at the end of your thread! It is weird all-right!!! H

Old 12-16-2008, 07:39 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Sure seems like December is open season on HCHII's I don't know which is better, not seeing it coming or watching it in slow motion and not being able to get out of the A******s way.
Either way, no fun, my car was fixed, the Honda shop did a great job with the car, if only I were that easy to repair.
Take it easy, as I told someone else just a couple of days ago it may take some time for tissue damage/trama to show up, mine took a week exactly to show up then several p/t appts to reduce the pain, still not completly cleared up.
Good luck with your upcoming ordeal getting your life back where it was pre accident.
BTW, when I see a car coming out of a side street on icy roads, I always look to see if the hubcaps are spinning, that is a sign of control, not spinning I start to react in advance, no need to play can you stop it lotto .

Old 12-16-2008, 10:05 PM
Think green.

So sorry to hear about your car being hit. But you're more important than the car, so take care of yourself. You say your head feels cloudy; make sure you didn't sustain a concussion or something. Hope all will be well.

If you do that seat modification your were working on, make sure all the parts/bolts are strong enough to withstand something like this accident.

Glad you seem to be okay, nf.

Old 12-17-2008, 07:02 AM

Thanks for all the concern.

I do feel much better than I expected this morning. I'm still sore, but I can turn my head. I'll see the PT again on Friday. Yesterday, was a crazy dricing day in Omaha for sure. I probably saw at least 5 wrecks and a dozen cars in ditches. Funny how the first snow is the worst. Seems like a good day to stay home (but I never do).

The body shop's wait is two weeks as of yesterday. I hope I get in the queue soon.

And yes, I am kind of creeped out by the fact that I had almost done the seat mod. It seems like it'd be safe -- 1/4" steel and the highest grade bolts, but am I adding a point of failure? I'll wait to decide until after the car gets fixed.

Thanks again for the well-wishing. I'm sure I'll be back to normal in a week or so.

nf

Old 12-17-2008, 08:20 AM

I would not hesitate NF, the car is so much better with comfortable seats! Good little project for you while at home. Are you still driving the car? H

Old 12-17-2008, 09:45 AM

I'm still driving it. I'm still leaning towards doing the project. I appears I am the only one questioning the safety of it. Everyone seems to think it's completely safe.

I'm sure it would increase the confort level. I've already added about an inch and a half of lumbar foam to the seat back. More thigh support would make another big improvement for sure.

nf

Quick Reply: Another HCHII hit.

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands