Another Hybrid MPG Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2005, 01:29 PM
Enthusiast
Default Another Hybrid MPG Thread!

Alright guys (and gals) - I've read through lots of threads on the forums about how to increase gas mileage and how to get the most of your civic hybrid. I've got a 2005 Civic Hybrid that I've owned since last April. I live in Lincoln Nebraska where the weather varies pretty wildly (90+ humid in the summer, below zero in the winter). My car now has 6600+ miles on and I've been very cautious about complaining about mileage until now.

Since I've owned the car, I haven't gotten a single tank of gas over 35MPG (according to the computer at least). My commute route is pretty short (about 5 miles), with frequent stop lights. However, even when traveling 100 on highway (which, I understand, lowers the FE in a hybrid), with cruise control at 75MPH (or lower) in mild temperatures, my mileage drops to 33-34. I let one of my tripodometers roll for the past 4000 miles and I've averaged out 33MPG.

My question is this: Should I be concerned? Either the computer in my HCH is lying to me (I've hand checked it a couple of times, and it seems accurate), or my HCH is horribly lacking. I could've saved myself $100/month by buying a non-hybrid had I know I'd only be getting this mileage. EVERYTHING has been varied, from my driving style, to the distance traveled and the weather I've driven in and none of these things have allowed me greater than 35MPG on a complete tank of gas. My dealer tells me that there's nothing he can do and I'm now at the point where I'm ready to ditch the car complete and abandon Hondas permanently just out of spite. Could it be possible that I just have a lemon?

Thanks,

Josh

Old 11-30-2005, 01:39 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Another Hybrid MPG Thread!

Should have bought a Prius!

It probably has more to do with the short trips and the cold weather. Check tire pressure, use low viscosity oil, etc.

Old 11-30-2005, 01:57 PM
World's First Hybrid

Originally Posted by papajosh
Alright guys (and gals) - I've read through lots of threads on the forums about how to increase gas mileage and how to get the most of your civic hybrid. I've got a 2005 Civic Hybrid that I've owned since last April. I live in Lincoln Nebraska where the weather varies pretty wildly (90+ humid in the summer, below zero in the winter). My car now has 6600+ miles on and I've been very cautious about complaining about mileage until now.

Since I've owned the car, I haven't gotten a single tank of gas over 35MPG (according to the computer at least). My commute route is pretty short (about 5 miles), with frequent stop lights. However, even when traveling 100 on highway (which, I understand, lowers the FE in a hybrid), with cruise control at 75MPH (or lower) in mild temperatures, my mileage drops to 33-34. I let one of my tripodometers roll for the past 4000 miles and I've averaged out 33MPG.

My question is this: Should I be concerned? Either the computer in my HCH is lying to me (I've hand checked it a couple of times, and it seems accurate), or my HCH is horribly lacking. I could've saved myself $100/month by buying a non-hybrid had I know I'd only be getting this mileage. EVERYTHING has been varied, from my driving style, to the distance traveled and the weather I've driven in and none of these things have allowed me greater than 35MPG on a complete tank of gas. My dealer tells me that there's nothing he can do and I'm now at the point where I'm ready to ditch the car complete and abandon Hondas permanently just out of spite. Could it be possible that I just have a lemon?

Thanks,

Josh
Hi Josh,
If I'm reading your post right, you say you are travelling 100 mph and at other times you set cruise to 75. The 5 mile commute with a lot of stops will also contribute to low FE. At these speeds and 35mpg, you are probably getting the best mpg to be expected especially in colder weather with fewer auto-stops. Too much air resistance at higher speeds plus many other fuel consumption processes will severly limit your FE. Also, if you have CVT, make sure the transmission is always in "D" and not "S". This would happen even with a non-hybrid at these speeds. Sounds like you should have bought a more sporty non-hybrid for that type of driving style or maybe a non-hybrid civic or accord or equiv.

I'm in the same situation weatherwise here in boston area. With the colder weather, my 50+ mpg's of summer have dropped to high 40's. Today it's 65F, by Friday it will be 18F or lower.

If another hypermiler lives close by, you may want them to take your car for a ride to see if there is a problem.

Old 11-30-2005, 01:57 PM

I got crappy mileage when I rented a 2005 HCH but I got excellent mileage with a Prius. You should maybe trade in your current car for a Prius (you can get a 2005 for a bit cheaper than a 2006). The Prius won't get wonderful mileage in very short trips because the engine needs to keep running until operating temperature is reached, but once it does that then it gets very good FE in both city and highway driving, and you don't have to be gentle with it.

A 2006 HCH is a big improvement over the older one but it's still alot less forgiving than a Prius so it's not as easy getting high mileage with it.

I don't think you have a lemon, though your tires could be flat. Of course you can see my mileage isn't fantastic with my '06 and I live where it's always warm, but it is improving. Acceleration really kills in both cars, and you accelerate alot when you constantly stop and go, which you say you do often.

Old 11-30-2005, 02:01 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ralph_dog
Hi Josh,
If I'm reading your post right, you say you are travelling 100 mph and at other times you set cruise to 75. The 5 mile commute with a lot of stops will also contribute to low FE. At these speeds and 35mpg, you are probably getting the best mpg to be expected especially in colder weather with fewer auto-stops. Too much air resistance at higher speeds plus many other fuel consumption processes will severly limit your FE. Also, if you have CVT, make sure the transmission is always in "D" and not "S". This would happen even with a non-hybrid at these speeds. Sounds like you should have bought a more sporty non-hybrid for that type of driving style or maybe a non-hybrid civic or accord or equiv.

I'm in the same situation weatherwise here in boston area. With the colder weather, my 50+ mpg's of summer have dropped to high 40's. Today it's 65F, by Friday it will be 18F or lower.

If another hypermiler lives close by, you may want them to take your car for a ride to see if there is a problem.
I'm sorry, no, I'm traveling 100 miles at 75MPH or lower. (pesky words...I always leave them out) This mileage has been persistent during hot, mild, and cold weather, so it's not a matter of the temperature...nor seemingly of driving style. I am sure the transmission is in D.

Old 11-30-2005, 02:07 PM
Enthusiast

Sounds like driving style mostly. 75 mph on the freeway will kill it, stop/go traffic, without the engine turning off (i.e. sitting at a light with the engine running) will kill it. I'm in LA, I average 35.21 for the life of my car (but that's climbing as I started out with a FAST trip (avg speed in the upper 70s, hitting 80+ frequently) 4000 miles long in bad weather over mountains. I typically get 38mpg nowadays in traffic, over a full tank, but frequently get over 40 for a few days, here and there. For a long trip, where I'm not in a hurry, I'll cruise control it at 65 and get about 45-50, depending on the terrain. The 5 miles is going to SERVERELY hurt your mileage as your car never fully warms up either. Engines are more efficient when they are warm, so cold weather affects you mostly because it takes longer to warm up. 5 miles to work, you'll never warm up.

Now, about ditching the car...get a 6 cylinder stronger car and your mileage will be closer to 12-15 mpg if you actually watch it. That's the "problem" with hybrids is that darn gauge constantly making you think about it. MOST people never really think about their mileage. They read the sticker, say, "OK, I'm gonna get 22 city, 27 freeway." If you'd ever checked that mileage it is DEAD wrong with the similar driving conditions. The EPA has a silly test and not indicative of hardly anyone's driving habits. Basically that's my wifes care, 22/27, she gets 15 to/from work, 7 miles street driving. I'm impressed she gets the 15 to tell the truth. But that's a 5 cylinder volvo, versus her passat 6-cyl which got 12-luckily 15 now and then...

Old 11-30-2005, 02:13 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

It's not the car's fault.
Any car you drive that way in those conditions will give you UNDER EPA.

Take heart.
Your 35 MPG is great, considering your situaiton.
Dump the hybird and you will get 22 or less with a conventional car.

It's all relative.

I get 60 MPG in my 04 HCH CVT but I hypermile.
I could get EPA of 48 MPG in my sleep if I drove faster.

I know a woman who complained she was getting MPG in the 30s.
She came to my house and I drove her car, with her in it and got over 60 MPG.
She was astonished and relieved that nothing was wrong with her car.

Last edited by kenny; 11-30-2005 at 02:31 PM.
Old 11-30-2005, 02:15 PM
Enthusiast

Oh, and we just got back from trip to Colardo Springs, 2500 miles total, avg speed about 80 on the freeway, avg'd about 22 mpg, that's 5 or more below the 27 or whatever rated. Percentage-wise that's 20% lower than the EPA. Your hybrid rated at 47 on freeway, getting 35 is a about 25 lower than the EPA rating...pretty typical for high-speed driving.

Try taking it out on a "relaxed" drive. Try really smooth at 55 even and you'll get over 50mpg. Say, go out, drive for 10-15 minutes, set cruise between 55-65 and reset your mpg gauge and drive for a while, see what happens, warmed up and driving smooth, find flattish area if possible and you'll be impressed.

Just realize the driving habits are big cause of low mileage, but that style will affect any car you drive, all will be affected roughly the same percentage-wise from given EPA or any other "normal" driving method.

Old 11-30-2005, 02:17 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kenny
It's not the car's fault.
Any car you drive that way in those conditions will give you UNDER EPA.

Take heart.
Your 35 MPG is great, considering your situaiton.
Dump the hybird and you will get 22 or less with a conventional car.

It's all relative.

I get 60 MPG in my 04 HCH CVT but I hypermile.
I could get EPA of 48 MPG in my sleep if I drove faster.

I know a woman who complained she was getting MPG in the 30s.
She came to my house and I drove her car, with her in it and got over 60 MPG.
She was astonshed and relieved nothing was wrong with her car.
Exactly...I'm trying a bit harder to see how much better I can do on my commute, but I'm fairly happy with my 38-ish mpg (Better than the 18 or so I was getting with my lexus), but I just started this site and just finally filled up a new tank, so will be trying to get my next tank in the 40's.

Old 11-30-2005, 02:24 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by papajosh
[trim] However, even when traveling 100 on highway (which, I understand, lowers the FE in a hybrid), with cruise control at 75MPH (or lower) in mild temperatures, my mileage drops to 33-34. [trim]
Actually the longer you drive should make no difference or partially imrpove your mileage as your tank gets lighter with less gas, although 100 miles should only be 2-2.5 gallons, or 15-20 some pounds. Your car is warmed up and your milage should be steady, if the road is steady.

You say you've read threads...then I'm sure you've tried starting up REALLY slowly, almost to the point where people behind you may honk at you? Coast to a stop use your brakes sparingly, as you only have to accelerate to get going again, which will hurt your mileage, etc...heck some people take everything out of their trunks and drive from empty to 1/2 tank of gas (5-6 gallons will be 40 pounds, and they want that reduced weight).

Quick Reply: Another Hybrid MPG Thread!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands