Anyone getting better gas mileage with there other car

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2006, 07:40 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Anyone getting better gas mileage with their other car

I've reached a mile stone with my Scion XB. Currently I am on my best tank ever as the 3/4 tank mark I'm at 120 miles on the odometer. Normally I would be between 85-100 depending on driving conditions. I find myself using the road like the hybrid putting the car into neutral to coast until it's time to progress again. Even then I will get the car up to speed and pull into neutral again. The best tank ever was 36.6mpg after purchasing the hybrid before this it was 35.4mpg literally all highway(including typical stop and go 405 traffic) from LAX to Simi Valley. Not sure where this tank will end up but, it is better than I've ever seen so far. It may take awhile I filled both up earlier this month and probably won't need to fill up until a couple of weeks from now.

Last edited by birchman2; 06-07-2006 at 08:00 PM.
Old 06-08-2006, 03:08 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Anyone getting better gas mileage with there other car

I am in the process of selling my 'other' car. I drove it for about a week recently using many of the fuel saving techniques posted here and gained about 20% in FE. Unfortanately, being a gas gussler, FE went from about 11 to 13mpg.

My family van has been sitting in the parking lot for a long time. Last year I bought a small scooter for my commute - 80mpg - so the van has just been gathering dust. Time to sell it.

Old 06-08-2006, 05:31 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Good for you both! Improvement through better driving is something to be proud of in any measure.

Old 06-12-2006, 09:18 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

My 2005 Honda Odyssey has variable cylinder management (VCM). This just means it can shut down 3 of the 6 cylinders under certain conditions. Although we haven't been driving the van much lately, I have really been trying to squeeze some extra miles out of the gallons when we do. I have been paying a lot more attention to the instantaneous FE to keep it in the 3 cylinder mode. When we take it on a roadtrip later this summer, I will be shooting for mid 30s. I think I can keep it on 3 cylinders cruising close to 70mph, but I will have to test this out a bit.

Old 06-13-2006, 06:39 PM

I am getting anywhere from 24 to 25 MPG on my non-hybrid Ford Escape. This is up from about 21 BH (before hybrid). I am pretty happy with it ... and this is during the summer in Phoenix.

Old 06-13-2006, 09:28 PM
Energy Independence

I get 20-21 on a mostly highway daily commute on the Jaguar XJ6 now. I think I got 18-20 just a few months ago (but it was winter then, although winter in the Dallas area is usually not very punishing to fuel economy).
BTW, I just crossed 100K on the Jaguar today.

Old 06-14-2006, 04:42 AM
Enthusiast

Yes - our 2005 Prius consistently averages 5 to 10 more mpg than our 2006 HCH (same driving conditions).

Old 06-14-2006, 05:42 PM
MPG FANATIC WITH GUZZLERS
Default Mr Kite-30+ mpg Odyssey at 70 mph- let us know.

Mr Kite,I will be very curious to see your results. I spent some time on the Odyssey forum, and in general they weren't happy with the MPG of the latest Odyssey. Back then there was over 600 'tanks" posted, and the best I saw was about 26-27 mpg.There weren't any 30 mpg tanks posted.This was a surprise, since with most vehicles I've had ,I can get about 2mpg better on the hy than the EPA estimate. We got 24 mpg on a 1000 mile trip in the Pilot, and one of those fillups was 28 mpg. A couple of others were 25+.
Have any Odyssey owners actually reported 30 mpg fillups? I'm not much on the digital results-they always seem to be higher than "actual".
What is your best full tank ?
Thanks,Charlie
PS It will be interesting to see if you can get 70 mph on 3 cyl.At 70 mph the Pilot is quick to downshift on the slightest upgrade.

Old 06-14-2006, 06:36 PM
Default Re: Mr Kite-30+ mpg Odyssey at 70 mph- let us know.

Originally Posted by phoebeisis
Mr Kite,I will be very curious to see your results. I spent some time on the Odyssey forum, and in general they weren't happy with the MPG of the latest Odyssey. Back then there was over 600 'tanks" posted, and the best I saw was about 26-27 mpg.There weren't any 30 mpg tanks posted.This was a surprise, since with most vehicles I've had ,I can get about 2mpg better on the hy than the EPA estimate. We got 24 mpg on a 1000 mile trip in the Pilot, and one of those fillups was 28 mpg. A couple of others were 25+.
Have any Odyssey owners actually reported 30 mpg fillups? I'm not much on the digital results-they always seem to be higher than "actual".
What is your best full tank ?
Thanks,Charlie
PS It will be interesting to see if you can get 70 mph on 3 cyl.At 70 mph the Pilot is quick to downshift on the slightest upgrade.
Unfortunately, I was not recording my FE on the Odyssey before I bought the HCHII. In general, I drive relatively short trips. On most tanks, I would be from 18 to 21. On one longer road trip, I drove quite fast in the mountains and got abound 25mpg. This is probably my best tank. Lately, we have not been driving it much, but the last few tanks have had some longer drives on them. Since I have been keeping up with the FE, I have always, had my calculated FE higher than the digital display. In the HCHII, this had been from 0.7mpg to 1.5mpg. From two tanks in the Odyssey, my calculated has been an average of ~1mpg higher.

Here's the reason I think I can easily get over 30mpg on a road trip. I recently had an 80 mile round trip from my house. It was mostly freeway (except for about 5 miles) and I drove in the 60s. I had reset the B odometer at the start and ended up with 30.3mpg according to the display. I also had one stop. I drove paying attention to the instantaneous FE. I accelerated softly to keep it in 3 cylinder mode. I would probably only have the patience for one good tank.

I have also been a little bit disappointed with the FE of the Odyssey. If I didn't have some long trips, it would be extremely difficult for me to break 20mpg. However, on a long interstate road trip, I should really be able to take advantage of the VCM. Maybe I won't be able to hit 70mph consistently. I'm not sure if anybody else has reported a 30mpg tank, but I'm pretty sure I can do it if we end up taking the road trip. If nothing else, it will be a fun experiment.

Thanks for your post.

Old 06-14-2006, 06:37 PM
Active Enthusiast
Talking Re: Anyone getting better gas mileage with there other car

My 2003 Acura TL Type S is barely using ANY gas...

That's because it's been parked most of the time since we got the Civic Hybrid!

Quick Reply: Anyone getting better gas mileage with there other car

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands