Anyone hear an ambulance when slowing down?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 02:01 AM
AJR
Active Enthusiast
Default Anyone hear an ambulance when slowing down?

Thanks to the information on these forums, we bought our first 2007 HCH tonight. The second one will be in our driveway in 30-45 days! My wife got the first one - she was originally looking at the Honda Pilot, but when I had her check out the Hybrid, she liked how it looked, handled, and that it will save over $100.00 in gas a month over the Pilot and our Chevy Venture we just traded in. Plus the fact that the HCH was $11K less than the Pilot helped too!

So we're driving home. The fan was on (not A/C). We were only doing about 40-45MPH. As we slowed down to come to a stop at 3 red lights, our ears perked up because it sounded like an ambulance or police car was nearby. Looking around the first 2 times and seeing nothing we assumed it was down the street out of view. The 3rd time though we looked at each other puzzled saying "where the hell is the ambulance"!?! We even missed the light because we stayed in place thinking it was going to come across the street (it was 1 in the morning so there was no traffic). I turned off the fan, and the car went into it's first Auto Stop, which also freaked my wife out! She didn't know that the car would actually have no sound and feel like it just stalled! Continuing down the street when the light turned green, we came to our turn and slowed down. Now we could hear the siren sound clearer! We both said "It's the engine". So, I'm asking has anyone heard this? I'd hate to think we have a problem with the car. This car had 3 miles on it as we drove it off the lot. They even had to peel the protective plastic off the hood, roof, and trunk! So this baby is NEW. We would appreciate anyone's feedback on this, or is it just supposed to sound like that when decelerating and we have to get used to it?

Thanks,
Angelo

Old 04-15-2007, 06:10 AM
World's First Hybrid
Default Re: Anyone hear an ambulance when slowing down?

I have an 05hch and I can always hear a slight whining sound when slowing down if there is regen braking going on. It is the sound of the electric motor making electricity, vice versa when accelerating hard from a stop and electric motor is engaged . Also, if the radio is on and volume low, I always hear a slight whining sound from the speakers, which I assume is RF interference from the motor and/or vehicle computer. All normal stuff for a hybrid I guess.

Old 04-15-2007, 07:15 AM
Active Enthusiast

Yep, we thought the same thing. I suggest you follow "Click and Clack" and just "turn up the radio to drown out the noise".

Old 04-15-2007, 01:26 PM
Vegetarian

I test drove an 04 that had it pretty bad, my 05 did it a tiny bit when I bought it but I think it may be a bit worse now.

Old 04-15-2007, 03:14 PM
Active Enthusiast

Never heard it described liked that before. The one passenger that noticed it thought it was a cricket chirping from the dash.

Old 04-15-2007, 10:39 PM
Energy Independence

A slight whine like Ralph said... No big deal to me.
It's certainly not loud enough for me to mistake it for a siren
Maybe yours is different.

The hybrids (I think ALL of them) attempt to shut down the gas engine just before stopping or while stopped, when they can. This is called Auto-Stop, and saves wasted fuel consumption while (normally) idling. Most of us hybrid owners NOW are concerned about how to MAKE it Auto-Stop even more often than it is programmed to!
There are many cool oddities about the HCH-II that make it really fun to learn about. It's somewhat like a game to many. And all in the name of improving our MPG.

Old 04-15-2007, 11:13 PM
AJR
Active Enthusiast

Thanks for everyone's feedback. I was just concerned that it might be something wrong. I'm sure we can get used to it.... it was just rather odd when driving home at 1 in the morning!

Today being the first day we drove it around town, we really love the car. Smooth, quiet (xcpt the whine when coming to a stop), and handles nicely for having small tires. My wife actually let me drive it today. Being a "lead-foot" driver in my current vehicle, I actually want to drive the speed limit (or less) in this car knowing I'm driving a hybrid and saving $$$ on gas (now about $3.20/gal). I'm sure I'll step on the gas now and then when I really need to get somewhere, but I think this car will reduce my stress level when driving! Can't wait to get mine next month...

Old 04-16-2007, 10:23 AM
Hybrid-Hugger

Wait till you notice when the IMA assists your braking (and when it doesnt). YOu will notice the green bars when braking, but as soon as the bars go away (as you get near where autostop would kick in), you will feel a different sensation in the braking (basically, the engine stops braking and relies on the physical braking completely).
Just new Hyridge quirks we all learn to live with (and love).
Just like auto-stop.
Enjoy

Old 04-19-2007, 05:23 PM
Enthusiast

I bought my HCH in January, and I still love to drive it every day. I actually look forward to my 70mile round trip. My car is rather silent the entire time, and I have never heard a whining sound. I live in Houston, so it is a flat area, maybe that makes a difference?

Old 04-20-2007, 04:19 AM
Enthusiast

yesterday was the first day of driving civic, i did not hear the sound you referred to, but i did have a thought. Any chance that your parking brake is partly engaged?

Quick Reply: Anyone hear an ambulance when slowing down?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands