Anyone tried the Davis Carchip on the HCH?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2006, 09:31 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Anyone tried the Davis Carchip on the HCH?

http://www.davisnet.com/drive/produc....asp?pnum=8221

Anyone tried the davis carchip on the HCH? It says it gives some standard data plus a couple extra channels. Well, my question is, what other channels of data are available from the HCH interface? Does it output mpg data or fuel consumption or something you could export and plot mpg with?

Also, just wondering in general how it's been useful to anyone who has used it.

Old 01-11-2006, 09:44 AM
Razorx
Default Re: Anyone tried the Davis Carchip on the HCH?

It can only monitor 4 out of the 23 available parameters. Kinda cool though.

Last edited by jlambeth; 01-11-2006 at 11:11 AM.
Old 01-11-2006, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by jlambeth
website states that hybrids are not supported. It an only monitor 4 out of the 23 available parameters. Kinda cool though.
Hmmm, I didn't notice that. So what are the 23 channels then and do you get to choose which ones are monitored? I am hoping someone who's used one can chime in here.

Old 01-11-2006, 10:03 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by zimbop
http://www.davisnet.com/drive/produc....asp?pnum=8221

Anyone tried the davis carchip on the HCH? It says it gives some standard data plus a couple extra channels. Well, my question is, what other channels of data are available from the HCH interface? Does it output mpg data or fuel consumption or something you could export and plot mpg with?

Also, just wondering in general how it's been useful to anyone who has used it.
I've been thinking of getting something like this too. I saw in their docs that they explicitly support 'hybrid gasoline/electric' vehicles. There's also the ScanGauge, but it doesn't do logging (although it does have a trip computer that tracks averages/max).

Old 01-11-2006, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by jlambeth
website states that hybrids are not supported.
Where did you see that? In the exclusions pdf, it states:

Hybrid Gas/Electric Vehicles These vehicles are supported in CarChip software version 2.1.1 or later and CarChip Firmware version 2.17 or later.

Old 01-11-2006, 10:12 AM
Enthusiast

I use a product similar but far more extensive on my GM products. It's called EfiLive http://www.efilive.com/ Unbelievable amount of data you can record; and adjust within your computer(s). I wish someone would come up with something like that for us HCH owners.

I’d like to adjust/control:

- The amount of battery usage before certain gas saving functions turn off.

o At 50% battery IMA is not used much at all, car goes into battery recharge mode.

- The amount of IMA used when pulling away from a light, or climbing a slight hill.

o I’d like to boost the amount used to full electric motor assist, uses less fuel to get car up to speed.

o On slight hills motor assist works, but only up to three bars, unless gas pedal is push much harder. Wastes gas, motor assist if needed should go to full scale, then fuel should be added after that.

- Control over when stop engine shuts down at traffic lights.

Don’t get me wrong I believe Honda engineers have done a great initial job setting up the program(s) in our cars. And the cars systems design is spot on for everyday drivers. But the programs appear to be very conservative. I believe more can be done to further enhance the systems our cars already have in place. Hope someone is able to come up with a product like I mentioned above.

Old 01-11-2006, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by countrysHCH
Don’t get me wrong I believe Honda engineers have done a great initial job setting up the program(s) in our cars. And the cars systems design is spot on for everyday drivers. But the programs appear to be very conservative. I believe more can be done to further enhance the systems our cars already have in place. Hope someone is able to come up with a product like I mentioned above.
http://www.99mpg.com

It's for the Insight, but I'll bet it wouldn't be a big stretch to adapt it to the HCH.

Old 01-11-2006, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by NASAgineer
http://www.99mpg.com

It's for the Insight, but I'll bet it wouldn't be a big stretch to adapt it to the HCH.
I looked at that the other day. It really would be cool to have that for the HCH. It's a forum member that makes that unit, perhaps he can adapt if for HCH owners?

Old 01-11-2006, 11:09 AM
Razorx

Originally Posted by NASAgineer
Where did you see that? In the exclusions pdf, it states:
My goof, the sentence is under the "Non-Support Vehicles" section and I read that sentence too quickly.

Old 01-11-2006, 11:10 AM
Razorx

Originally Posted by zimbop
Hmmm, I didn't notice that. So what are the 23 channels then and do you get to choose which ones are monitored? I am hoping someone who's used one can chime in here.
Per website:

With CarChipE/X, though, you'll also be able to monitor any four out of 23 user-selectable engine parameters, including:

RPM
Throttle position
Engine load
Fuel pressure
Fuel system status
Short- and long-term-fuel trim
Battery voltage
Timing advance
Coolant temperature
Air flow rate
Intake air temperature
Intake manifold pressure
Oxygen sensor voltage

Quick Reply: Anyone tried the Davis Carchip on the HCH?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands