Aura Xe 4cly or HCH?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 09:59 AM
Enthusiast
Default Aura Xe 4cly or HCH?

I test drove two HcH today both just came in last night. One did not have its battery charged and that was something. It had no power and really showed me how much power the battery gives this car.

Now the dilema.
I can get the HCH for around $21k for a 08 and the tax credit which corret me if I'm wrong reduces my taxes by $2100. So for example if I get a rebate of $4000 then my rebate with the tax credit will be $6100.????

Or a 08 aura Xe 4cyl. With the gms discount my price is $18,798. Then I have the following discounts(rebates):

1. $1000 for pull ahead on my lease
2. $1000 dealer voucher
3. $300 Gm credit card earnings
4. $750 for payng cash
5. $1000 red tag discount.

So the aura would be under $15k.

Is the honda worth it? I have never owned a honda. BTW I drive 12k per year.

Thanks for any advice.

Old 11-15-2007, 10:20 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Aura Xe 4cly or HCH?

Go for the Saturn. It is a bigger car.

The HCH is a nice car but then so is the Saturn. If you want a compare Hybrid to Hybrid, try the Saturn's version.

I have a HCH and came down from an SUV prior.. I miss the ability to buy big ticket items can carry them away the same day...

I know the Aura is not an SUV, but if you are comfortable with one size and you never owned a Honda, the first problem you encounter with a Honda you will feel regret...

Hondas for me have been great cars. I as to my Sig Line below...

Old 11-15-2007, 11:30 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

depends on what you mean by worth it. Driving 12k a year, it will take a while for you to get your money back

Old 11-15-2007, 11:47 AM

Have you noticed the price for gas lately! I think that should tell you which way to go. HCH gives you good FE and is very good for the air we breath .

Old 11-15-2007, 11:53 AM
Enthusiast

I have noticed the price of gas. Have you noticed the differnce in price new?

Old 11-15-2007, 11:54 AM
Eco Accelerometrist

Originally Posted by idareu
Is the honda worth it? I have never owned a honda. BTW I drive 12k per year.
Given the details you offered... and your focus on the "money only" part, then it may not be worth it for you. If you factor in all other things that would you make you a better citizen by polluting less and consuming less then using the Aura as a basis for comparison with the HCH is very inappropriate.

Besides I could not compare the two cars without an attack of conscience. They are two different cars not only in terms design, legacy, reliability resale value, but also in efficiency as well.

While opinions vary, I would never consider an Aura a viable hybrid system for my own personal use... even with less than 8K miles/year that I put in my cars.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 11-15-2007, 12:28 PM

FWIW, I believe the Honda credit is cut in half for this quarter.

Old 11-15-2007, 01:09 PM
Part Time Hybrids

I think the reason GM gives so many discounts is desperation because their just selling you a slightly improved Aura sedan. Their attempts to lower to price speak honestly about the resale value you can expect and the quality you might get down the road.

If you care about selling the car one day and going with a know quality producer choose the Honda.

Or you could go for the 20K base Prius, might be slightly cheaper.

Old 11-15-2007, 05:13 PM

If you want a nice car, with thoughtful interior and backlit gauges and displays that you can tune your eyes' foci on, then go with the Honda. I was in a Pontiac G6 recently -- which appears to be the same platform as the Saturn Aura -- and it was absolute dreck in comparison.

If you do go with the Aura, don't be surprised if your highway driving consumes 50% more fuel than its official rating. Seriously, it consumes twice as much fuel as the HCH-II.

If you want reliability, go with Honda and steer clear of GM. On that drive with the G6, the on-board computer started to erroneously warn of low oil after only 10,000 miles on the odometer. And plastic caps in the A-frame were coming unhinged and dangling.

The HCH-II is the safest car in its class. It's money well spent.

Old 11-15-2007, 06:22 PM

HCH maybe the safest car in its class, but as you stated, "its class" The Saturn Aura should consume more gas, it is in a different car class. It is a full size car compared to the HCHII which is a small size car.

The Pontiac is a totally different beast all together. One of my numerous trips back to the Mercedes Dealer I was afforded the luxury of using a Saturn Aura. It wasn't bad at all. It had an European look and feel to it.

GM in the past few years installed those God awful bear claw size interior door pulls to their cars, this was the first GM car in a long time that did not have the Bear Claw super size door pulls.

Ultimately it is up the Idareu to make the decision of which car would serve his needs.

Quick Reply: Aura Xe 4cly or HCH?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands