Auto-start feature for Civic Hybrid - aftermarket.

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2005, 07:26 AM
2003 Civic Hybrid Owner
Question Auto-start feature for Civic Hybrid - aftermarket.

Hi all:

I recently looked into having an after-market, auto-start device installed onto my 2003 Civic Hybrid. Because it was a Hybrid, the after-market installer would not do the work, stating, "I have never done a Hybrid before. I don't know if a Hybrid can take it."

So, I contacted Honda Customer Service and they continued to give me their legal disclaimer, "We do not recommend changing anything fromthe show-room floor model." (Honda does not currently offer any model aith auto-start feature.) However, they did admit that the starting mecshnisms in the Hybrid Civic are the same of that in the gas version.

Have any of you had an auto-start device installed onto your Hybrid Civic? Please let me know your experience as I wish to have this device installed but need guidance.

Thanks in advance.

Old 11-07-2005, 08:20 AM
Default Re: Auto-start feature for Civic Hybrid - aftermarket.

Yes. I have an aftermarket autostart. I had it installed when I had my alarm installed. The dealer didn't mention any problems installing it. You will need an additional bypass module, but this is true for any car that has a chip in the key.

This will be my 4th winter with it. No problems at all.

Old 11-07-2005, 10:46 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Most dealerships will know of a local installer that'll do aftermarket alarms. Find out who they are, give them a call. They'll know what your car can take, as they install into Hondas (even hybrids) all the time.

Old 11-07-2005, 12:07 PM
Enthusiast

an aftermarket alarm with remote start can be added to the civics with no problem, the wiring is all the same as the standard civics. I just put an alarm in my hybrid, no problems at all.

Old 11-07-2005, 12:16 PM
2003 Civic Hybrid Owner

Thank you, Tom.

Where/Who would I get the bypass module from? Thanks again.

Old 11-07-2005, 01:48 PM

Mine is made by DEI (Directed Electronics) its a 555I costs about $35 online probably more at a store. But any installer will know where to get one. Its very common. There are two types. 1) that holds an actual key that you give them (you have to purchase and have the key programed and given to them to put in the bypass box, the model for this one would be DEI 555U (do not get this unles you absolutly have not choice,) and B) a purely electronic one that gets programed from your key but then the key is returned to you.)

You don't have to worry about any of this because the installer will tell you what you need. He may not tell you about the keyless bypass module though.