Bass Speaker System vs. Aftermarket Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2005, 05:50 PM
Enthusiast
Default Bass Speaker System vs. Aftermarket Speakers

I have noticed that the Bass Speaker System is about $268. Do you think it would be a better choice to go with Aftermarket Speakers, say for instance Infinity Kappa's for $199. Now, I have never heard the Bass Speaker System so I do not know if they make noticable change or not, but I do know that the Kappa's are excellent in sound quality. Anyone change out there speakers for aftermarkets let me know if it was worth it.

Old 12-28-2005, 07:03 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Bass Speaker System vs. Aftermarket Speakers

I have been contemplating whether or not to get this upgrade as well. It comes down to a few things though and a good explanation of what this upgrade contains and sounds like.

Are they coaxial or dedicated subs (bass only). I know the amp has gain, but does it say anything about a crossover? What are the factory speakers like that come out and the replacements ... are they paper or a higher quality, how many drivers (2,3,4 way?), what is the surround made out of - (foam? rubber?), what are their ratings how many ohms (2,4,8?), what are the wattage ratings (RMS and max) and the frequency response and distortion? I will try to find some of this but I am not sure where to look.

Factory integration/clean look and easy connection would be a plus. As opposed to getting an aftermarket bass system and installing an amp, which would also take up more space and require removal of some of the interior to make it look 'clean', possible drilling through the firewall for power cable, finding a spot for the ground, etc.

To just replace the speakers, with say a high quality 3 or 4-way coaxial speakers it may sound much better in itself depending on the quality of the originals, but will the ohm draw match and will the radio supply enough power for that particular aftermarket speaker.

the bass speakers from Honda come with a small amp (and I am rather certain a built-in crossover to filter out the highs for a more pure bass sound from the speakers if they are low frequency only). I just don't see it being too great of difference because it doesn't have any kind of enclosure from what I can tell (other than the trunk). If it did, that would definately produce better sound, even for the factory speakers. Not that I am knocking the factories. My 99 Accord sounded great for what it had in it, and I know someone with an Accent of all things and its factory speakers sound like it has a 8 or 10" sub installed, I found it very shocking and I still don't believe it lol.

It would really depend on what you are expecting it to accomplish. Do you want a lot more than what you already have? or just a supplemet? You can buy relatively small self-powered subwoofer boxes for your car, some of them will fit under your seat. This will give the 'feel' of a bigger system by vibrating your seat, and be closer to you (minus the sound absorbing abilities of the seat, which will also filter out distortion) so it doesn't need to be as powerful. Bass is omnidirectional as opposed to the higher frequencies so it doesn't matter where it is mounted. I have read an article from a magazine (car audio & electronics or similar?) several years ago that had a Miata with the subwoofer mounted in the engine bay and led a tube from it to inside the cabin through the firewall and they claimed it provided excellent quality and volume. Do you want earth shattering thump, or powerful moving bass? Then you should look into a real subwoofer system. I would say a 12 or two for a mild entusiast, bigger if you like really deep bass. I used to use 15" and 18" speakers. and to me, nothing else compares to them. I would suggest an amp with a negative feedback loop to control the speaker better (I know for a fact some of the Kenwood sub amps have this with a lot of crossover options).
It would be nice to hear the system first hand and decide from there. I personally think that I would go for the subs under the seats if the bass system wasn't what I am expecting, then eventually replace the factory speakers anyway if they are not the best of quality.

I cannot wait to hear from the owners with this installed already!!! Great question! Take care and have a great New Year!!!

Old 12-28-2005, 07:21 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

This is a review a made previously on another site after I installed the Bass Speaker System. A good set of aftermarket speakers might be better but then the head unit will not produce enough power to the speakers. As far as putting aftermarket subwoofers under the front seat is not possible due to all of the wires and airbag sensors under both front seats. Almost nothing at all can fit under the front seats. A aftermarket system would def. be better than the bass system but the bass system is much better than the stock speakers. However, an aftermarket amp may not be ran from the trunk to the front of the car without taking out the rear seat/ battery hybrid componets. Thats way I feel this is the best option for the HCH. I mau have touched on some points in my previous review but her it is:

I guess I am the first person to install the Bass system accessory so I figure that I would write a review for everyone else. It was every easy to install. From start to finish it took about an hour and a half including opening the box, taking a break and cleanning up. It used the directions for the installation off of college hills honda website. At first I was a little dissapointed when I opened the box and saw the size of the speakers and the magnet. I was thinking how could these little magnets produce any type of bass. Then after removing the factory speakers I felt a little better because the magnet on the factory speakers was half the size of the bass speaker system. After installing the amp and speakers and hooking up the wires I was ready to try the system. I was very impressed with the system. Good sound right out of the box. After tweaking the High cut and High gain on the Amp and adjusting the sound controls on the Navi it made the system even better. Now, if you looking for car shaking glass busting bass this is not the system for you. If you are looking for a little added extra bass and sound from your factory system then this is a winner. The reason why I decided to try this systme is because I have an '06 Hybrid and I thought that adding an aftermarket amp and subwoofer may be hard to due to the hybrid's battery pack installed on the rear seat and not being able to route the wires for an aftermarket amp. After installing this kit I am glad that I made this choice after seeing that it would be impossible to due with out removing the high tech battery from my brand new car. The bass systme kit plugs right into the factory harness that feed power to the third brake light and trunk light. I also was able to skip a few of the install steps of routing the wires becuse the wires fit nicely behind the vents that cool the IMA system's battery. The was no wattage makring on the amp or OHM rating. It does say 2 OHM on the speaker however. The magents on the speaker are a rare earth magent which are more powerful than a standard magnet and do a great job. ......The box is an amp/ crossover with Gain and High Freq. Cut controls. The crossover is okay, but the rear speakers still play some high freqs but mainly bass. It is not very deep bass but a lot better than stock and supplemental to the music. No problem with being to much bass in the back for the passengers as Eric said. The system does work with Navi as that is what I have in my car. I am still adjusting all the setting to try and get it just right. You can change the treble on the Navi/radio to full treble and Mid or 0 bass. This will cut most of the bass to the front speakers and the crossover in the amp does ok eliminating the highs to the rear speakers. Or latley I have keep the treble to full and the bass on the Navi to almost full boost. The amp I have kept on full gain and full high cut. If you can read directions and have any mechanical skills what so ever like turning a wrench than don't waste your money paying honda to install.

Old 12-28-2005, 08:14 PM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks, Adam -- that's exactly the kind of input I was looking for!

Don

Old 12-28-2005, 09:40 PM
Enthusiast

I too went with the Honda Bass System about 3 weeks ago on my 06 HCH. I have been quite pleased. It is a significant upgrade to the stock sound. There is a bit of bass distortion at very high volume levels even with the bass set at 0 on the head unit.

I may still try to add a subwoofer at some time in the future, but for now the Bass System is a very welcome addition.

Terry

Old 12-30-2005, 12:27 PM
Enthusiast
Unhappy Re: Bass Speaker System vs. Aftermarket Speakers

I just had the bass speaker system installed yesterday and have been tweaking its adjustments since. I'm not entirely satisfied as of yet because the improvement to the sound is not a significant improvement to the stock speakers (IMO). I had Honda install the speakers and they discarded the stock speakers, so I could not determine if I have the improved speakers or the stock speakers. Therefore, it may be too early to say my final judgement on the bass speaker system. Could anyone post photos of the original speakers and the new speakers?

Thanks,
Ronald

Old 12-30-2005, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Artoodetoo
I just had the bass speaker system installed yesterday and have been tweaking its adjustments since. I'm not entirely satisfied as of yet because the improvement to the sound is not a significant improvement to the stock speakers (IMO). I had Honda install the speakers and they discarded the stock speakers, so I could not determine if I have the improved speakers or the stock speakers. Therefore, it may be too early to say my final judgement on the bass speaker system. Could anyone post photos of the original speakers and the new speakers?

Thanks,
Ronald
I don't have a picture yet, however the magnet on the stock speakers is very very small and is half the size of the bass speakers. I am not sure if this helps any.

Old 12-30-2005, 05:55 PM
G.H. Contributor
Thumbs up Re: Bass Speaker System vs. Aftermarket Speakers

Hi Adam; Thanks for "Your" most excellent review of the Honda Bass Speaker System (Sound and Install). If I read your review correctly and got the full meaning out of what you said regarding the sound. It says if you play the Factory sound system at a normal listening level, you will have a much improved sound/bass over the standard speakers that come in the car from the factory. If that is the case then I am glad that I ordered my HCH ll with that option because I was just wanting a better bass sound than I thought the standard spkrs. would deliver. I read the install instructions and they gave the Factory settings for the amps. that come with the kit and I just wondered, if you set the amps. as the factory suggest does the system sound okey? I was thinking use those recomended settings and then make the other changes from the Nav. screen. Any comments? Suggestions:

Thanks for the Review:

Terry

BTW: will be another HCH ll owner one of these days

Old 12-30-2005, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by tigerhonaker
I read the install instructions and they gave the Factory settings for the amps. that come with the kit and I just wondered, if you set the amps. as the factory suggest does the system sound okey? I was thinking use those recomended settings and then make the other changes from the Nav. screen. Any comments? Suggestions:

Thanks for the Review:

Terry

BTW: will be another HCH ll owner one of these days
I have found that the recomended settings work well for most listening. I then will control the bass level from the Navi unit/ radio to adjust for each song. Each persons listening preference is different however. I find that only on a rare few songs and at high volume do I ever have to adjust the Bass on the Navi unit. Most times I leave it set I believe two bars down from full bass.
Adam

Old 12-31-2005, 04:09 PM
G.H. Contributor
Thumbs up Re: Bass Speaker System vs. Aftermarket Speakers

Originally Posted by Adam_HybridCivic
I have found that the recomended settings work well for most listening. I then will control the bass level from the Navi unit/ radio to adjust for each song. Each persons listening preference is different however. I find that only on a rare few songs and at high volume do I ever have to adjust the Bass on the Navi unit. Most times I leave it set I believe two bars down from full bass.
Adam
Thank-You Adam for your comments on settings. I was thinking that the factory recommended settings for the amps would work but you already have the Bass Speaker System installed and your real world comments are better to me than just reading something on paper. I also got the Nav. along with the X/M Satellite Radio (Dealer Installed) option so thats why I wanted to try to match up the Bass Speakers from Honda. I think this is going to work just fine.

Thanks;

Terry

Quick Reply: Bass Speaker System vs. Aftermarket Speakers

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands