Battery charge, HCH non-use

Old 10-11-2004, 07:37 PM
Active Enthusiast

I just wondered if my mind is playing tricks on me or if the battery drains with no use.

Scenario: On Thursday I drove to work and home and ran a few errands in the Civic. I parked it Thursday afternoon to go on a trip with the family in the van. We left Thursday afternoon and arrived home on Monday. The Civic was idle all this time. When I went to run errands today I drove the Civic. The battery charge was down around half. I swear that it was full when we left on Thursday. Has anyone else experienced this?

Billy

Old 10-12-2004, 06:35 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I have not, but it sounds logical - every battery system I have ever heard of will lose charge when inactive....why would that not be true with the HCH battery technology?

Old 10-12-2004, 02:13 PM
Active Enthusiast

I thought it might, but just wanted to check to see if anyone else had experienced the same event. I don't think I will leave it sit still for long periods at a time, but if we go away a week I guess I will have to drive the Hybrid around to charge it up. It is too bad there is not an aftermarket solar charger like there is for car batteries for the Hybrids.

Billy

Old 10-12-2004, 02:41 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I remember reading in the owners manual that the car will occasionally re-evaluate or re-calculate the battery current and voltage reading, perhaps this is what you have experienced?

I've seen this cycle happen a few times in my own car while driving.
The IMA system allows the battery to drain to about half by cutting off all hidden charging.
It keeps the level at half for a short time then turns on the charge again.