Battery is dead??

Old 10-16-2018, 06:11 PM
Enthusiast
Default Battery is dead??

Help! A tree limb fell on my 2012 Honda Civic Hybrid last night. The windshield is cracked and the front portion of my roof is dented in. I think the tree limb either turned on my interior light (the one next to the rear view mirror) or the alarm was activated (but I don’t think so because I didn’t hear it) and now the battery is dead. How can I tell if my car battery is dead or the hybrid battery is dead? Sorry I wish I knew more about cars, please forgive my ignorance. This just happened and I am now thinking about how expensive this will all be. Any help is appreciated.

Old 10-16-2018, 06:31 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Battery is dead??

12V battery is dead.

When car is off, hybrid battery is electrically isolated from the car. Hybrid battery is probably fine unless it somehow sustained physical damage from the impact.

Repairs should be covered by your insurance unless you don't have comprehensive coverage.

Old 10-17-2018, 09:46 AM
Enthusiast

Thank you for the information. This is my first hybrid car and the battery was my first big concern. I have heard how much more expensive that battery is compared to the 12V battery. Is there anything I should be worried about with changing the 12V battery since this is a hybrid vehicle?

Old 10-17-2018, 09:57 AM

Buy a suitably sized replacement. Not sure about the HCH3, but all the predecessors used a standard size battery. Wouldn't expect anything different with the HCH3.

Old 10-17-2018, 12:30 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Baker
Is there anything I should be worried about with changing the 12V battery since this is a hybrid vehicle?
Not sure if this applies to your model, but the HCH1 has a "radio code" which must be punched in whenever the battery has been disconnected. Many threads on this, see for instance:

https://www.quora.com/How-do-you-unl...-a-Honda-Civic

In theory this is supposed to make stealing the radio less attractive. In practice I have never had a radio stolen in 45 years but have had to punch in this stupid code about 30 times, so not much of a win.

Old 10-17-2018, 05:32 PM

LOL... yeah... there is that. though I've only had to punch in the code maybe 24 times...