battery fumes coming into car

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 12:23 PM
Enthusiast
Default battery fumes coming into car

I have a 2008 civic hybrid and just got back from long trip. Climbing thru the mountains the battery did not charge it always stayed at 1 or 2 bars. Then we started to get a very bad smell from the back seat. (remember the old batteries you used to add water to) that was the smell. I have had my car into honda numerous times, they have done updates and say there is no problem. I now have a chemical burn on my eyes ( believe me I am sueing) but that is not the point. I want honda to acknowledge there is a problem and fix it. Has anyone else experienced this kind of problem? Thanks

Old 06-10-2010, 03:37 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: battery fumes coming into car

That is a new one. Never has been discussed in the past. The pack is cooled and vented. Not sure how the fumes manage to get into the cab. Maybe negative pressure with the windows in a certain position and drawing the fumes back into the cab? Like I say this is the first I have herd of this problem.H?

Old 06-11-2010, 07:10 AM

I've taken my HCH II over some of the highest roads in the country (Trail Ridge Rd, Loveland Pass, Hoosier Pass, Berthoud Pass) and never experienced anything like that. For many of those drives, I had bikes on the roof which makes the car work even harder, and I definitely have gone through my whole SoC on these passes and filled it up again repeatedly. Never noticed any smell coming from the batteries though...

Old 06-12-2010, 06:05 AM

Me also, never noticed anything like that.

Don't take this the wrong way, but your post kind of, well: "smells". It just has all the characteristics: first posting, lawsuit pending, puzzling anomalies, like why would a solid state battery smell like an old acid battery? And chemical burns to your eyes...?

I'm not saying it is bogus, just telling you my initial reaction. Could you post more details?

Last edited by Mendel Leisk; 06-12-2010 at 06:35 AM.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:37 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mholland
I have a 2008 civic hybrid and just got back from long trip. Climbing thru the mountains the battery did not charge it always stayed at 1 or 2 bars. Then we started to get a very bad smell from the back seat. (remember the old batteries you used to add water to) that was the smell. I have had my car into honda numerous times, they have done updates and say there is no problem. I now have a chemical burn on my eyes ( believe me I am sueing) but that is not the point. I want honda to acknowledge there is a problem and fix it. Has anyone else experienced this kind of problem? Thanks
I have a 2008 Civic Hybrid also and in the last few days I have had the same smell. It's the same smell that a leaking battery makes (like when you've not used an electrical device for a while and those AA batteries in there leak). It's giving me a headache when I drive the car. It's going into the dealership next week. I'll post what happens afterward.

Old 04-16-2011, 07:00 AM

Please do. H

Old 04-16-2011, 11:17 AM
Enthusiast

Just a couple more bits of information if anyone's interested. I did get the software update when it became available and I have never seen a warning light or any other indication that there is a problem with the battery. The charging information on the dash looks perfectly normal. It definitely is the battery emitting the odor. The smell is strongest in the trunk and at the interior vent for the battery.

Old 04-16-2011, 04:10 PM

Make sure the vents are clear! Can your hear the fan running with the ignition on? If not make sure the fuse is not blown. It is possible the motor has stopped working! It does sound like the Pack is getting hot. H

Old 04-17-2011, 04:05 PM
Enthusiast

I can't hear a fan running when I put my ear to the vent. It is absolutely clear (the vent). Where is the fuse and how is it labeled? I'll check the fuse boxes as soon as I'm done here. I had the smell about three or four days. It got stronger and stronger until I had to drive with windows open. Now suddenly today it seems to be gone. I didn't do anything. I can stick my nose right up to the vent and nothing. No smell in the trunk either. Weird? I'll still check fuses though.

Old 05-03-2011, 06:08 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mholland
Hi
Please check the charging rate. Usually the rate should be in between 14.1 volts and 13.6volts. If it is out of range, the battery has got problems with aging.

Quick Reply: battery fumes coming into car

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands