Best way to Un-stealth the HCH

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2004, 06:59 PM
Enthusiast

OK - it was mentioned before, and I agree - the wimpy little "hybrid" on the transom is a little too subtle.

Anybody bring the hybrid nature of their HCH out into the open, other than a license plate? Especially something involving lights, or even plasma ( those tubes with the moving spark inside ) ?

I'm thinking of maybe just some green LED's inside the "hybrid" badge. That would be a start, if it's easy to pull off, or even order a replacement to experiment with.

Between PC modders and the auto stores, there must be something that will attract some attention. Maybe a tri-led fan in the ventilation grid on the back deck?

Perry

Old 09-25-2004, 11:59 AM

Perry:

No fancy lights or anything, but between the stock "HYBRID" badge, my "Greenhybrid.com" license plate frame and my "Support a Saudi, Get a Hummer" bumper sticker I usually get 5 or 6 inquiries a week. Not to mention the bemused faces I frequently see in my rear view mirror.

I LOVE THIS CAR!!

Mark

Old 09-25-2004, 12:21 PM
Site Founder

Haha. You mean no GreenHybrid bumper sticker?? jk

If I ever pass you on the highway, I'll know it's you, eh.

Old 09-25-2004, 01:40 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Sometimes I'd like to add some more hybrid flash to my car, but most of the time just the plain 'ol car look.
It still throws me off sometimes wondering what people want.....when they drive along side and scan over my dashbord. (Usually other Civic driver/pasengers)

Often in that case I've put aside that I'm driving a hybrid.

I like the green LED behind the Hybrid lettering, can picture it as really cool.
Wonder if it is possible to remove that lettering without wrecking the paint?

Old 09-25-2004, 04:14 PM

Hi NH-HCH:

___You could always take a can of green spray paint and just paint the front driver and passenger side doors with the word “HYBRID” if you wanted attention? Just kidding of course

___Personally, I enjoy the challenge of spotting the few HCH’s I see on my commute. That center mounted antennae is the only item that sets it off when I see them coming up from behind. I believe the frontal air intake is slightly different as well but I am not looking that closely.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Old 09-25-2004, 09:03 PM

Wayne,
You are correct, the front air dam has a vertical bar down the center, but that is only on the old ones. The new ones the only difference i've noticed is the one bar flat grill and the antena. (i swear, i see more hybrids from 03+ than the normal civic)
Cheers,
Steven

Old 03-14-2005, 09:10 AM
Default I "unstealthed" my HCH last Friday

I finally received my personalized plates on Friday, about a month after ordering them...

My rear plate (in AZ only rear is required) now reads:

HIGHMPG

I got my first comment Saturday nite at the drive-in movie. The guy parked next to me asked about the Hybrid, what my MPG was, etc. Did not ask about a plug, so points for that !!

He said he was mildly interested in replacing his 12 year old Toyota pickup and I told him to go for it !!!

Old 03-14-2005, 10:13 AM
hyperactive enthusiast

05 HCH also has a tiny fin/kick up, on back edge of trunk- none of the other civic models have it. that's how we found them in the dealers lot. I use the antenna from the front & the trunk from the rear. I've only seen one civic and one prius so far though.....
I'm too cheap to pay ny dmv for custom plates- it's an annual charge, not one time.
I love the car, but I think people only notice when they're behind me on hills....

Old 03-15-2005, 12:51 PM
Enthusiast
Default I was just thinking the other way around

WIth gas price rising and these cars "hot" i'm thinking of removing the hybrid designation to make it look like all the rest.......Pete

Old 03-15-2005, 01:50 PM

I'd love to remove the Hybrid emblem, install a green acrylic backing and illuminate with LED's, but am too afraid of peelling the paint while removing it.

I've also considered 2-3 high output LED's mounted bumper top, focused on the HYBRID emblem for night viewing, but I'd have to drill through the bumper.

Another idea:
You know, there is an indentation on the center console between the shift bezel and the storage area....I suppose used to keep small odds & ends. My cell phone fits right in there.

I was thinking of using that indentation to put a small control panel consisting of an on/off switch and also 2 push buttons, one for "UP", the other for "Down".
Also on this tiny control panel could be a 2-digit numeric display that the up & down buttons would manipulate a counter ranging from 40-99.

Why?
I could "Dial in" the MPG on my control panel.
Here's the trick...There would be a 2nd display to mimic the small display, much larger and mounted on the rear deck or bumper.
That way folks could see my MPG.

Probably a stupid idea anyway so I haven't persued it.

Quick Reply: Best way to Un-stealth the HCH

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands