Braking causes regen gauge to max out green bars?

Old 07-23-2014, 08:21 PM
Enthusiast
Default Braking causes regen gauge to max out green bars?

Hello gas savers,

To start off, I have a 2006 honda civic hybrid. about 230K.

My issue started ever since my car had a blinking check engine light for misfire cylindar 4. Another reason for the light wz issues with the catalytic converter.
but anyways since then i had noticed that whenever i press the brakes the green regen charge gauge would max out in green bars. even if i slightly pressed on the brakes the regen would overcharge to full upon pressure.

I have changed the spark plugs and coils since then to stop the misfire and the check engine light went away for a bit but then came back again, however its not blinking like before.

Does anyone know how i could get the car's regen gauge to go back to the way it was before. As before pressing the brakes would only regen 3-4 bars, but it would never max it out like it is now. Pretty worried about this.

I've also noticed that the car doesn't appear to have a silent start anymore. You can actually hear the engine running once the car is started.
and the auto-stop feature seems to be a bit generous in even the slightest stops these days. the door locks also appear to have slowed down as a click of a button causes a delayed click-click to get them to lock/unlock. Help

Last edited by spyran; 07-23-2014 at 08:26 PM.
Old 07-24-2014, 12:18 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Braking causes regen gauge to max out green bars?

Get your 12V battery load tested. On the HCH, when the 12V battery starts going, the electronics really can get confused!

Also, try a battery reset by just disconnecting the negative for a few minutes. It may reset the computer

Old 09-24-2014, 10:37 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I concur with the 12V as a potential issue. However, my '06 with 132K miles (owned since 65K) has always behaved as you describe... if the IMA battery is going to take a charge, light brake pressure will max out the green charge bars while engine braking alone from freeway speeds will give me the 3-4 bars you describe.

My auto-stop isn't very generous as my battery is frequently doing recals.

I have no idea what you mean by "silent start". The instant I release the brake pedal, my ICE fires up. Always has, and as I understand it, that's normal. The HCH doesn't have the "silent start" (electric only at low speed/light accel) like the Prius.

Old 09-24-2014, 01:26 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by S Keith
I have no idea what you mean by "silent start".
He almost certainly means "starts with the 10HP electric motor". When the IMA is not working the car starts using the starter motor, which makes the same cranking noises as a regular car. That mode of starting is considerably louder than the normal mode.

Old 09-24-2014, 01:50 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pasadena_commut
He almost certainly means "starts with the 10HP electric motor". When the IMA is not working the car starts using the starter motor, which makes the same cranking noises as a regular car. That mode of starting is considerably louder than the normal mode.
I hoped that was it. I'm all too familiar with the 12V starter cranking sound. I get it as often as not.