Brief Rumbling Sound when Accelerating after a Stop

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2006, 06:52 AM
Enthusiast
Question Brief Rumbling Sound when Accelerating after a Stop

Hi everyone,
I'm a proud owner of a 2004 Honda Civic Hybrid and, aside from the dents in the rear bumper, I've never had a problem with it. I've always gone to the dealer for servicing, always up on my mileage checks, etc.

A few months ago, I started noticing a "rumble" when releasing the brake after coming to a full stop and also when accelerating slightly after a full stop. This happens even if the car is not on AutoStop. I'm often driving in residential areas with many 4-way stops, so this has been an issue recently. You can hear the rumble and you can feel it (passengers too, not just the driver), but it only lasts 2 seconds at most. It's beginning to get a little worrisome, but no other issues have come up.

I have an appointment to bring the car in to get it checked out next month, but wanted to know if anyone else has had this problem or if anyone knows what might be causing this to happen.

Thanks so much,
Sonya

Old 09-23-2006, 12:37 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Brief Rumbling Sound when Accelerating after a Stop

I've had this issue on my 2003 Civic Hybrid for as long as I can remember, although I wouldn't call it a problem. To me it's just a minor annoyance because it doesn't happen all the time and it doesn't seem to be affecting anything else. I assume it is something inherent in the design, but I could be wrong. You could try a swifter motion when removing your foot from the brake pedal, maybe that'll help.

Old 10-10-2006, 06:38 AM
Active Enthusiast

This happened to me when my Civic Hybrid hit 50,000 ish miles. It is the CVT transmission.

I had my replaced (no cost) by the dealer. I had the extended warranty.

I believe that Honda would replace it with or without the extended warranty because so many people are having problems with the transmission.

The CVT transmission is faulty. If you do some research, you will see that Honda suggested using a new transmission fluid.

You could have your tranny flushed and see if that solves the problem.

Other than the transmission problem, I loved my Civic Hybrid.

Rick.

Old 10-10-2006, 10:18 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Is it just a noise, or is it more of a vibration?-- because there has been some discussion here about how, when braking to a stop, you sometimes feel a sort of jerking motion at low speeds if you let up on the brake midway through stopping. I've experienced that from time to time.

Old 10-10-2006, 05:00 PM
Active Enthusiast

My noise occurred when accelerating from a full stop.

The car would make a loud rumbling noise and I would feel a vibration through the steering wheel.

Honda should cover this even if your car is out of warranty. There is defiantly an issue with the CVT transmission.

Rick

Old 10-10-2006, 10:56 PM

Funny time for this post. I planned on going to the shop tomorrow at lunch to set up an appointment to have it checked out. I hope I get a free transmission out of it or at least mine fixed for less than $1000. The plus side is that my Honda dealer is next to a red lobster so guess where I'm going to lunch tomorrow

Old 10-11-2006, 03:43 AM
Hybrid True Believer

Mine started rumbling at 50k, but it turned out that it just needed a transmission fluid flush-and-fill. Now that the car is at 100k, the rumbling sound has returned. The next time I get an oil change, I'm going to get the transmission fluid flushed also. Hopefully it will fix it for another 50k!

Old 10-11-2006, 08:15 AM

I did have my transmision fluid changed. I'm not sure that is the same as flushed though. In my case it didn't make a difference.

Old 10-11-2006, 05:04 PM

Well, I went to make the appointment today and the service guy said they could look at it today. I'm like sure. Me and my friends are going to eat across the street so I can get a ride back to work with them. They call me up later and say "the tech found the problem. You needed a transmission flush. We flushed it twice and it is all better. There will be no charge." So I pick it up and all is good.

The only negative is it took them about 45 minutes to get me my car. There was a sign that said if you don't get your car in 5 minutes tell us immediately. My nature is to be very patient so I wait about 10 minutes and tell them I'm still waiting for my car. They get the paper work and page someone again. I twiddle my thumbs for about 30 minutes more and then I go up again and ask. They pull my paper work and look around and pull my keys out of this plastic container they use to hold keys in and hand them to me. I was a little annoyed about the fact that they had the keys for a while and didn't bother to let anyone know. But I guess these thinks happen around 5:00. They were probably changing shifts or something.

They also told me my transmission fluid was dirty. I had it changed I believe a month or so ago at a different dealership (the one that stole coins out of my ashtray). Now I'm wondering if they even changed it or just took my change, bought coke with my money and took a 30 minute break. I think I will stay away from O'hare Honda in Des Plains IL. Shaumburg Honda seems more reputable even if they wouldn't diagnose my EGR valve issue.

Old 10-11-2006, 05:30 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Is it just a noise, or is it more of a vibration?-- because there has been some discussion here about how, when braking to a stop, you sometimes feel a sort of jerking motion at low speeds if you let up on the brake midway through stopping. I've experienced that from time to time.
This is describing the clutch disengaging and engaging on the CVT. Unlike an auto, with a fluid clutch, the CVT actually has a standard clutch that is controlled elecrtonically. The only time I've really found it a problem is when trying to accelerate immediately auto-stop. The engine is still in neutral so will rev up to a high RPM, then the clutch will engage and since the engine is out of sync with a wheels, create a lurching sensation. Now what I try to do is let go of the brake several seconds before it's actually time to go, to let the tranny completely engage.

Quick Reply: Brief Rumbling Sound when Accelerating after a Stop

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands