Bucking and Transmission issues with '05?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2005, 12:29 PM
Owner of '06 HCH #7264
Default Bucking and Transmission issues with '05?

In my quest for all the information I can get, I recently read several discusions (on another website) on a problem with the HCH bucking badly. Seems most of the folks reporting this problem had '03 and '04 model year cars. Anyone seeing this issue on the '05 HCH ? Just wondering if they finally found the problem and cleared it. Seems the fix for the '03 and '04 was transmission service, which did not always help.

As always... Thanks

Old 10-07-2005, 01:39 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Bucking and Transmission issues with '05?

No chance of human error?

Old 10-07-2005, 06:49 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I've had my '05 HCH for 6 months. No transmission problems whatever.

Old 10-08-2005, 03:35 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

i have an 04 hch with almost 16,000 miles/16 months, no transmission problems, cvt runs as smooth as it did on the first day.

bucking issue? Please be more clear about when it happens and how severe it is. Does the car suddenly lurch during initial acceleration, coasting, or braking? Could you link us to some of those forums on the other site?

For me, when I have just started my car and it is cold outside, when I first depress the brake pedal, regenerative braking doesn't kick in until a second or two after I brake, and the car can "jerk" a little bit when it finally does kick in. This doesn't happen much though, and when the car's warmed up it never happens to me at all. I don't know if this is what you are referring to.

I wasn't aware of any CVT recalls/fixes for the 03/04 hch. There is another thread here that talks about government fleet hch transmissions and catalytic converters dying around 90,000 or 100,000 miles, but you know how badly they drive those cars.

Old 10-10-2005, 04:54 AM
Active Enthusiast

i have an '05 and haven't noticed any problems. the only lurching i've ever seen was when cruising with FAS and then starting in neutral, but this only happened once and every other time has been smooth.

Old 10-10-2005, 06:50 AM
Active Enthusiast

I will take a stab at this. My 05 HCH does exhibit a symptom that might be called "bucking". It is when I am coasting with cruise control. If the car slows down to the point where re-gen kicks in, the cruise control thinks it needs more gas. So now the car accelerates, re-gen goes off, car speeds up, re-gen kicks in again. Then the cycle continues.

Am I close?

Clay

Old 10-10-2005, 07:17 AM
Tim
Enchanter, Enthusiast

My 03 bucks, but it's due to the regenerative braking not the transmission. It always happens when I'm coasting just after applying the brake, then letting it off. For example, I'm slowing at a light and apply the brake, but realize I can coast a while and release the brake. For some reason, the regen braking pulses for a time then fades. Also happens in reverse as I back out of the driveway. I asked the dealership once when the car was new - they said that was normal. However, I don't think they really had any idea what I was talking about. Back in 03 I new more about my car then the dealership. Anyway, I just live with it. Does not seem to be a big deal, just an anoyance. Car is at 45K with no problems.

Old 10-10-2005, 07:42 AM
Have hybrid, will travel.

I have an '04 HCH MT and have not had anything resembling this problem.

Old 10-10-2005, 09:20 AM
Active Enthusiast

The closest thing I can call bucking is sometimes when you stop quickly and the regen braking is occuring, the car will "buck" while kicking out the regen braking because the car is going too slow at a higher gear (like if I'm in 4th gear and I'm going to zero mph, at about 10-20, the car will turn off the regen and I'll pull out of gear and into auto stop)

Old 10-10-2005, 01:15 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by clayk
I will take a stab at this. My 05 HCH does exhibit a symptom that might be called "bucking". It is when I am coasting with cruise control. If the car slows down to the point where re-gen kicks in, the cruise control thinks it needs more gas. So now the car accelerates, re-gen goes off, car speeds up, re-gen kicks in again. Then the cycle continues.

Am I close?

Clay
can you explain in more detail how you get this to happen? when you say "coasting in cruise control" do you mean hitting the 'decel' button?

Quick Reply: Bucking and Transmission issues with '05?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands