Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Buying a IMA battery

What does the 2 mean in HCH2 ?

Old 04-17-2018, 07:43 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

HCH1 = 03-05
HCH2 = 06-11

The HCH2 06-08 has a different battery pack than the 09-11. The 09-11 is worse.

Old 04-17-2018, 07:47 PM
Active Enthusiast

Thank you for all your advices

Old 06-30-2018, 02:53 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by villemiami
I have a Honda civic hybrid 2008. The IMA battery was replaced under the warranty at 90,000 miles. Now, my car is 150,000 miles and I am planning to give my car to my dad so he can bring it to France. In Paris, older cars are not allowed to drive on even days because of pollution. So with an hybrid car, my dad will be able to drive any day. But parts (and cars) in France are usually more expensive than in USA, so I'm planning to buy a new IMA battery and put it in the car trunk when the car will ship.
What IMA battery do you advice me to buy?
Online, I saw a remanufactured battery pack for $1200, one with 6.5 amp hour cells for $1800, and one with 8 amp hour cells for $2000. What benefits does the 6.5 amp or 8 amp batteries give over the one with the lower price?
If my dad stores it in his house for, let say 2 years, would the performance of the battery stay the same or degrade?

Also, I saw on eBay a grid charger for $190 that restores IMA battery performance. If I can save money, it would be good, but what are the disadvantages of using a grid charger compared to replacing the battery? time to do it? difficulty to do it? risk of electrocution?
i just recently went through some issues with my 06 hch2. Ima was on the way out and then sat for 2 months and died completely. I purchased a rerun battery from greentec auto for around 1200$ I was able to dodge the core charge and shipping because they have multiple locations across the country. After the install on the ima pack, my 12v wouldn’t charge but did not throw any codes. Ended up replacing the dc converter from a junk yard for 100$ and we are good to go! If I get another year out of the vehicle at 45mpg, I will be ecstatic. Wish I could figure out if there is an aftermarket alternative for the cvt fluid!?! Hope it helps

Old 06-30-2018, 09:21 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hch2fixday1

i just recently went through some issues with my 06 hch2. Ima was on the way out and then sat for 2 months and died completely. I purchased a rerun battery from greentec auto for around 1200$ I was able to dodge the core charge and shipping because they have multiple locations across the country. After the install on the ima pack, my 12v wouldn’t charge but did not throw any codes. Ended up replacing the dc converter from a junk yard for 100$ and we are good to go! If I get another year out of the vehicle at 45mpg, I will be ecstatic. Wish I could figure out if there is an aftermarket alternative for the cvt fluid!?! Hope it helps
There is not. The CVT is "fragile" in that it is not a robust design, and it is highly sensitive to fluid level and viscosity.

There are aftermarket options available, but all accounts I have found online result in slipping of the starter clutch(es). $30 every 15K miles for the correct CVT fluid isn't unreasonable.