cal bay area hybrids in the HOV lane finally

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2005, 02:05 PM
consuming little gas
Thumbs up cal bay area hybrids in the HOV lane finally

have you seent this article?
http://home.businesswire.com/portal/...07&newsLang=en

the feds finally signed this into law which will allow (most) hybrid vehicles to drive in the carpool lane with only person in the car. the dumb thing is that you have to show your fasttrack receipt to get the required stickers. this seems stupid. i live in san jose and don't need to go over any bridges so i don't have a fasttrack....yet. but i'm going to shell out the $40 to get the fast track transponder and then it's $8 for the dmv stickers. i already looked at the list of qualified vehicles and the civic, accord, prius, etc are on there, as you'd expect. i guess GM was complaining about this bill since the car/truck needs to get at least 45mpg to quailify. there were pissy since they have some hybrid trucks that get sub 20mpg.

Old 08-11-2005, 02:07 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: cal bay area hybrids in the HOV lane finally

neither does the Accord Hybrid.Kevin

Old 08-11-2005, 02:19 PM
consuming little gas

oops, you're right.

Old 08-11-2005, 02:33 PM
Enthusiast

I sent in my application today. There are just over 57,000 hybrids currently registered in California and they will be issuing no more than 75,000 stickers. I expect hybrid sales to skyrocket in the coming months (especially after the new year when the tax credits start). The new '06 Civic Hybrid + $2000 tax credit + driving solo in the carpool lane = big bucks for Honda next year.

Old 08-11-2005, 11:12 PM
Enthusiast

I sent mine in, too (after a quick visit to Walnut Creek DMV, which was filled with HCH's and Prius's at 8:00 AM- even the Channel 4 newsvan was there for the story- only all to be told we had to mail everything in. . .)
Hope my application is okay. They wanted an "original receipt" from my FasTrak, and I've had it for awhile, and don't even remember getting an original receipt. I sent in the last 3 mo. account tally they sent me, along with a print out from the computer, as well, with the vehicle and account number. . .
and my $8 check. I figure, with the work on the Skyway set for next month, that extra time not sitting at the Bay Bridge start can be used sitting at it's end