calculating mpg vs reading on gauge

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2006, 10:46 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: calculating mpg vs reading on gauge

IT's pretty funny, where most states have outlawed full serve to protect workers from hazards of working with fuels, two states still REQUIRE full serve to protect jobs of gas pumpers. Strange. I hated traveling in those states because I'm fussy about fill-ups. I always tried to beat the attendant to the pump and pretend like I didn't know... usually they'd just let me finish myself rather than fight me over it.

Still though NJ and OR full serve is pale in comparison to the hassle of those stupid vapor recovery pumps they have in CA. What a pain in the ***. Seems like they'll only put out gas if the planets are aligned and there's been a baby moose born on the fifth sunday of the month under a full moon...

Last edited by zimbop; 01-11-2006 at 10:48 AM.
Old 01-11-2006, 10:51 AM
Active Enthusiast

Yeah, that's usually what happens to me when I travel my way through New Jersey and I have to fill up there. They are usually busy helping someone else so I just get out, swipe my card, and start pumping. Then they usually come and finish pumping the rest.

Old 01-11-2006, 11:10 AM

I had no idea!
What a stupid law!

In California you just get used to the vapor recovery things.
Maybe one in 20 gives you a problem then you have to hold it for the full fillup.

Old 01-11-2006, 02:36 PM

Last Summer what was advertised as the last full service station closed.
Kind of sad I think.
Their price was about 20 cents above the others and we used it occasionally.

Kind of reminds me of those self serve lines at the grocery & discount stores.
One might think you'd get a price break there as well, but you don't so that's why I wait for a cashier.

Old 01-12-2006, 01:24 PM
Enthusiast

The one nice thing I've got to say about the full svc in NJ is that the prices are awesome. I routinely paid 50-60 cents less per gallon for the equivalent gas from the same vendor (Exxon) than self serv stations in NYC. When regular was $3.20 everywhere else, near me it was $2.78.

BTW, hello there. New member here. Prius driver since 2001, but I've only been lurking here for a few months now, ever since I became interested in the 2006 model.

--Mo