Car bra and car wash

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2006, 09:47 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Car bra and car wash

I have the full nose mask or car bras. I just wondering about the water sip underneath the "bra" after a car wash. Would it damage the paint? And what about the UV light - sun light? Will my car have a tanned line? Does anyone have any experience with that? Thanks!

Old 05-01-2006, 10:54 AM
Aneil Mishra, Ph.D.
Default Re: Car bra and car wash

When I owned a New Beetle Convertible, I was told that putting on a bra would lead to different colors eventually for the exposed and non-exposed parts. However, this is sunny North Carolina, and the car was mostly plastic. Perhaps paint on sheet metal is affected differently. In any case, you will definitely have different colors if you don't have the bra and your front paint gets chipped a lot! I'm thinking of getting a bra myself.

Aneil

Old 05-01-2006, 12:07 PM
World's First Hybrid

I had a dark gray accord once and bought the bra for the front. Here in sunny Taxachusetts it turned the car into a two-tone. Plus, dust and grit gets trapped underneath the bra and abraids the paint surface leaving nasty looking scratches. I would go with a plastic stone guard that does not rest on the paint surface so water and dirt are easily washed away with normal driving etc..

Old 05-01-2006, 02:01 PM
Active Enthusiast

The instructions on the full nose cover I bought at Honda were pretty explicit about taking the cover off when it rains or before a car wash, so you would probably be correct if it came from another manufacturer. I love it b/c it protects my car from the occasional wayward scuff and looks sporty.

Old 05-01-2006, 05:33 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

A new alternative to the traditional leather bras are the transparant thin plastic material made by 3M. Most window tint installers will install this film over your cars surface that protects from chips and stone damage, without fading and is invisable for the most part. It uses an adhesive to stick to the car to keep sand, dirt and dust from getting in between the bra and your cars surface ruining the paint. There are kits out for the 06 Civic that are pre cut to match the bumper, hood, head lights, and fronts of the side view mirror. You can install your self, but I hear it is a little difficult so you may want to have it professionally installed. I have a kit that I am going to try and install myself when I have sometime. I only paid $24.00 for the kit, but if it doesn't work out by me installing it, a professional wants $400 to install but to me its worth that to have it done.

Old 05-01-2006, 05:52 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

bras...tanlines...taking them off to soap up what's underneath... and all this time I've referred to cars in the masculine sense...

Old 05-02-2006, 12:56 PM
Enthusiast

I want the Full Bra as well... Anyone know where a good spot to get one from?

Thanks

Old 05-02-2006, 06:06 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by shine5555
I want the Full Bra as well... Anyone know where a good spot to get one from?
Best bet is from the dealer as an added option. That's how we got ours. Guaranteed tight fit.