Car a Little Jerky In Reverse

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2006, 03:44 PM
Enthusiast
Default Car a Little Jerky In Reverse

My 06 HCH has about 400 miles on it. The car runs smooth, and shifts nicely. I did notice that the car felt a little jerky when I was backing up. Has anyone noticed this? If not give it a try and see if you feel anything.

Old 05-14-2006, 04:00 PM
Default Re: Car a Little Jerky In Reverse

My car is very jerky when autostop engages or disengages, and when backing up. There've been times when I practically had to floor it to go backwards, it's weird. Of course it's pretty inconsequential.

Old 05-14-2006, 04:22 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

It isn't so much backing up as any low speed driving. Like a manual transmission, the CVT uses a clutch to prevent the engine from stalling out. When driving at low speed driving, The computer is trying to feather the clutch in and out to prevent the engine from stalling, but since it is not manually controlled, it can lead to unexpected jerking and lurching.

Old 05-14-2006, 06:54 PM
Z71
Enthusiast

My HCH backs up like my lawn tractor!
Rick

Old 05-14-2006, 07:49 PM
Enthusiast

Hmmmm. Autostop is noticeable but it really isn't an issue for me. I wouldn't call it Jerky. I do think its fun and rates high on the cool factor. It's interesting that you have the same issue with reverse that I'm having. The CVT tranny uses belts so I wonder if there is a break in period. My car only had 400 miles on it. What kind of mileage do you have? Have you talked to the dealer yet?

Old 05-14-2006, 08:56 PM

11500. I think mine's broken in by now.

I will be taking it to the dealer soon... the Toyota dealer. To trade it in.

Old 05-15-2006, 04:04 AM
Enthusiast

CGame-Sorry you don't like your new car. We love ours and would gladly buy yours if you were in NY. We originally looked at the Prius and from the reviews I was expecting to love it and hate the Civic. Well it didn't work out like that. We both thought that the Prius was slower, noisier, that the seats were uncomfortable and that the interior was too sparse and cheap looking with all that hard plastic they use.

I did however, like the hatchback with folding rear seats and the fit and finish of the body parts. However, we love our Civic. Its not the small little econobox that civics once were. It's quiet, handles great, has more pep than the Prius and Honda seemed to use higher quality interior parts.

Last edited by traderfjp; 05-15-2006 at 06:19 AM.
Old 05-15-2006, 07:43 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CGameProgrammer
My car is very jerky when autostop engages or disengages, and when backing up. There've been times when I practically had to floor it to go backwards, it's weird. Of course it's pretty inconsequential.

sounds like you've got a bum hch.ii. my autostop is buttery smooth. almost inperceptible. i have not problems at all with reverse. it would appear to be a problem with your particular hch.ii. sorry to hear that but soon your tch will arrive!

Old 05-15-2006, 09:21 AM

I'd heard of others having my same problem, but maybe it's not with all cars. What happens is, when I release the brake pedal, it takes a second for the brakes to actually release and for the engine to engage. The engine starts up instantly but it isn't actually put in gear until a second later, or half-second later.

Old 05-15-2006, 03:35 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I seem to recall reading something about a "Creeping Aid System" which prevents the vehicle from rolling backwards on a hill with autostop engaged. Perhaps this system is engaging and preventing your car from going in reverse? Sounds like something your dealer (Honda!) could check.

Quick Reply: Car a Little Jerky In Reverse

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands