Car ready to be picked up in "a day or two". What to remember?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 09:52 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Car ready to be picked up in "a day or two". What to remember?

Is there anything I am forgetting?

I told them no dealer badges on the car.

I didn't inquire about floormats, but I am prepared to raise hell if they try to leave them out.

I don't forsee any suprises.

Any advice before I sign the papers and take the car away?

Thanks!

Old 08-23-2006, 01:45 AM
Proud owner HCHII
Default Re: Car ready to be picked up in "a day or two". What to remember?

If you have not read the manual now is the time to do so. You can read it online at https://techinfo.honda.com

Old 08-23-2006, 05:15 AM
Active Enthusiast

If you need a transponder for tolls, don't forget that. I forgot mine when I picked up the car and had to dig for cash on the highway.

Old 08-23-2006, 06:40 AM
06 HCH Opal Blue Pearl

The only issues I had at pickup were:

The headlights were pointed way too low. They did show me how to adjust them with a long philips screwdriver though.

Extended warranty. I paid too much. You can get them on line...same exact warranty for around $1000, but I got "talked" into nearly $2000. Ouch. Beware!!!

Have Fun,

Bob

Old 08-23-2006, 08:23 AM
Rarely post anything

First, congratulations on your purchase! I hope you find your Honda ownership experience very enjoyable. Let us know how you like the car after you've had it a couple of weeks to a month.

If you're concerned about dealer stickers / emblems, you're probably also going to be annoyed if they mount your front license plate holder and use the self-tapping screw to puncture your bumper cover.

If your state requires a front plate, tell them you'll mount it yourself and absolve them from any liability from leaving it off.

You can mount the holder *upside down* if you need to wear a front plate, and preserve the look of the bumper.

Make sure the tires are inflated uniformly - 32psi front /rear is the mfg recommendation. Make sure they're at least that.

Other than that, I can't think of anything else that you wouldn't / shouldn't notice on your own. Walk around the car, and make sure every body seam lines up equally on both sides, the rubber trim gaskets are fastened evenly, there are no scratches on the paint / wheels.

Before I scare you with that last statement...the Civic Hybrids are assembled in Japan, and I'm a firm believer that the cars assembled there are done to a higher standard than the US-built cars, given my experience with various Hondas over the years. Given that, the car *should* reach you in nearly perfect condition - I don't want you to think it'll be a shoddy looking car.

Make sure the emblems are straight (btw, the 'Hybrid' emblem may appear very slightly canted upward on the RH side - it's supposed to be, per the service manual specs (to match the 'Civic' emblem across from it). I'm probably going to remove mine soon, so it'll stop bothering me at that point

If you're tracking mileage on your first tank (I wouldn't, unless you already know how to drive efficiently), stop at a nearby gas station and top the tank off - oftentimes, the 'free tank of gas' is missing nearly a gallon as the PDI techs run the car around and get it ready for delivery - especially if filling it up is the first thing they do when they get their hands on the car. If you don't, you may get alarmed when it drops the first bar off the meter quickly.

The car should have minimum 3 miles on the odo when it's turned over to you, btw - they're supposed to drive it that far, per Honda's directions, to road test it. However, I wouldn't consider this a deal-breaker if there were only '2' miles, for example. Mine had 3.5 when I got my hands on it to test drive it. Oh - make SURE you test drive it before delivery, and get any issues documented on a 'we owe' slip (items the dealer needs to resolve for you)

Carpeted floor mats f/r are standard on this trimline. The all-season mats are a dealer accessory. Unless you negotiated those for free, you can get (sometimes substantially) better prices for dealer accessories online. I would get an all-weather mat of some type - you'll wear through the cheap carpeted mat in no time.

If you got the two-tone interior, note that the gray fabric door panel inserts will show dirt / wear very rapidly. If you got a tan interior, the entire interior will show dirt easily. Dealer-installed fabric protection MAY be beneficial, IF they offer a replacement guarantee for items that won't clean up. I used Scotchguard on the panels (& the rest of the interior) a day or so after I got the car; they still look bad, and worse with time.

Old 08-23-2006, 09:17 AM
Proud owner HCHII

Green and Blue

Yes I too am a de-badger. They are gone from the windows and the rear and I will not carry advertising for any dealers. I like to be a grey man - raincoat collar turned up and a fedora pulled down over the eyes!

Noflash

Good luck! Enjoy! I have done about 4,000 miles and love the car to bits. The cars arrive in perfect condition from Suzuka - but as Green and Blue says check round very carefully. Try to keep your feet on the ground, stars in the eyes get in the way of taking careful stock of the situation.

Old 08-23-2006, 09:36 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Thanks all for the advice.

They agreed not to attach dealer badges or stickers on the car. It's good to know floor mats are included (I'll replace them will all-season when they die). I will do my best to keep a level-head and perform a keen walk-around.

I am looking forward to a zen-like commute and spending less time at the gas stations!

Thanks again.

P.S. Green and Blue, how do you like your "neck-pillows". Got a link for them?

Old 08-24-2006, 11:53 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tulip
Yes I too am a de-badger. They are gone from the windows and the rear and I will not carry advertising for any dealers.
Heh. I'm the exact opposite.

I had the Yale, Disneyland 50th Anniversary, and scottish terrier stickers on the car before the night was out. It took me a while to drill out our collection Mickey-Mouse-ear antenna ***** to fit the thicker antenna.

The only dealer advertising was a license plate frame that we tossed out in favor of the "Hate is not a Family Value" that's been on every car for the past decade.

Old 08-24-2006, 12:38 PM
Enthusiast

remember to pay the payments....

Seriously, although I only speak from one-days experience so far, this is one sweet car.

Old 08-24-2006, 02:04 PM
Rarely post anything

Originally Posted by noflash
It's good to know floor mats are included (I'll replace them will all-season when they die).

I am looking forward to a zen-like commute and spending less time at the gas stations!

P.S. Green and Blue, how do you like your "neck-pillows". Got a link for them?
I got mine from eBay, when I had the Accord Hybrid. Got the idea from another member, who had similar on his Insight. Unfortunately, they haven't worked so well in application - my driving position won't have me touching them unless I lean back in the seat, as I recline it somewhat. So they're there more for looks, I guess. For the person who sits in a more upright position, they could work. Because I raise the headrests, they tend to get scrunched in between the headrest and the seat on this car - they did on the Accord, but it's a bit worse on the Civic.

Don't have a link, but if you search eBay for 'Honda', 'pillow' - you should find some. I've never seen them retail or on a Honda parts site.

If you go over to www.cleanmpg.com, and post over there, Xcel might be able to tell you where he got his ((they were black with red/white 'Honda' logo & lettering), and I liked his better - mine are kinda goldenrod in color). Actually, now that I think about this, he got his from eBay, too. Would have bought ones like his, had I seen them.

On the floor mats - why wear out the OEM, and then go with the all-season in perpetuity ? Rather, get the all-season now, take out the OEM and save them for:

a) when you want to 'spruce up' the car a bit, and / or
b) when you sell the car.

Just a thought...that's what I'm doing with mine, at least

Last edited by GreenAndBlue; 08-24-2006 at 02:08 PM.

Quick Reply: Car ready to be picked up in "a day or two". What to remember?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands