is the car too low to the ground?

Old 05-01-2006, 06:22 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: is the car too low to the ground?

No, I think it's the perfect height, nice and low. My partner complains about it being so low, but the old car was a CRV, and I hated to drive it because I felt like it was going to fall over every time I went around a curve.

Old 05-01-2006, 08:08 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by toast64
Amen. But as pointed out by ralph_dog, the aerodynamics improve. Actually, it seems that the body panels are what's low, not the actual frame. Anyway, I guess we get to not only learn to drive differently, we also get to learn to park differently!
I understand the purpose for low ground effects, but how aerodynamic will it be after I've crunched the crap out of that ground spoiler in front? Nice idea, but it should still be compatible with normal stuff.

Old 05-01-2006, 08:24 AM

My 06 HCH does not scrape nearly as often as my 04 HCH did.

Last edited by kenny; 05-01-2006 at 08:39 AM.
Old 05-01-2006, 08:31 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by zimbop
The only height issue I have is scraping the front bumper on nearly all parking curbs. It's enough lower than the normal standard to hit most of the time if I don't stop early.
Instead of thinking of them as "Pull up to here" markers, think of it as "You've pulled too far."

Old 05-01-2006, 08:39 AM

I'm suprised there isn't a post about being too high off the ground. Take a corner fast or in an emergency situation and watch how many people roll over an SUV. Talk about scary.

Old 05-01-2006, 08:57 AM
MEAN TO BE GREEN ACTIVIST
Talking Re: is the car too low to the ground?

The height is a relative thing. My Subarus were both 4WD SUV's, I could pull up to any curb. In my new HCH II, I've scraped the front end several times. I've also "bottomed out" a few times when accelerating out of a driveway. I've been driving the Subarus for 30 years - Sooo I need to lean the ropes with the HCH. The Subarus had the horizontally opposed 4 cylinder engine with a low center of gravity so they cornered very well. Price we pay for progress. The HCH gets easily twice the mpg!

Old 05-01-2006, 09:33 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kenny
My 06 HCH does not scrape nearly as often as my 04 HCH did.
Everyone here makes a valid point. As far as the above, I definately agree here - I didn't notice much of a difference between my 03 civic vs the 06 HCH. Maybe though, it is my more careful driving that has prevented scraping the front...

Old 05-01-2006, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by livvie
I'm suprised there isn't a post about being too high off the ground. Take a corner fast or in an emergency situation and watch how many people roll over an SUV. Talk about scary.
Someone (blinkard) did mention that.

Also, each vehicle needs to be driven to the best of its and the driver's capabilities. Plenty of low-slung sports cars and sedans get rolled due to poor driving (excessive speed, failing to drive correctly for road conditions, driving off the road surface/edge and trying to return to the roadway too soon/without slowing and regaining control of the vehicle, etc.)

Old 05-01-2006, 10:20 AM
Active Enthusiast

I just scraped the bottom of front fender at a parking lot last night. Be careful...be very careful!

Old 05-01-2006, 11:58 AM
Vegetarian

I don't think it's terribly low, I sat a lot lower in my 95 Civic. I scrape on parking bumper things about the same frequency, not often.
I've thought about lowering my HCH, for the improved areodynamics, most of my driving is highway. Plus I kinda miss being lower.