CEL Due to Deteriorating Hybrid Battery & Emissions Inspection

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 03:13 PM
Enthusiast
Default CEL Due to Deteriorating Hybrid Battery & Emissions Inspection

My 2007 HCH has 170000 miles and as is to be expected the hybrid battery pack isn't as healthy as it used to be. Off and On I will get a CEL that when I read the code shows it's because the battery is failing.

My intent is to drive the car and ignore the battery issue since the car is still serviceable for my needs even without a super healthy battery pack.

However, in the state of Maryland, you can't pass vehicle emissions with a CEL on regardless of the reason the light is on. Luckily it only comes up once every other year but it's still an issue since the light is on and the car is currently due.

I think my best bet is to reset the light, drive a few days, and then go in and try to pass emissions (obviously I need to wait 100-200 miles) so the emissions monitors can reset.

Are there other options? Is there a way to prevent this light other than replacing the battery pack?