Changing wheels - how bad MPG will be ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 08:27 PM
aha
Active Enthusiast
Default Changing wheels - how bad MPG will be ?

I have an 05 HCH and just wondering how bad my MPG if I change my wheels/tires to 16x6.5 which weight about 18 lbs ? I'll pair 'em with some Kumho 711s. The wheels are from Honda. 2-3 MPG drop, I guess ?

Old 03-01-2006, 08:39 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Changing wheels - how bad MPG will be ?

What are you going to get in exchange for the mileage drop? Why pay extra money for a hybrid car and then disable its savings features?

Anyway, i suspect the tires are more likely to make a difference than the wheels, though it looks like aerodynamics were also a factor in the 06 wheel design.

Old 03-01-2006, 10:07 PM
Active Enthusiast

Changing your rims will make your car look one step closer to being just a regular civic. If that's not a concern, then perhaps it may be true that the rims may have nothing to do with actual mpg, it's more of the tire and pressure; but dont quote me on that, i did read somewhere before (i cant remmember where) that the hyrbid rims do help mileage.

Old 03-01-2006, 10:22 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

The rims DO indeed help mileage, but I've heard conflicting reports on this. The reason the hybrids have them is because they are more aerodynamic, that much I know for sure.

Old 03-01-2006, 11:06 PM
Wannabe Hypermiler

See the discussion here:

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...ad.php?p=49558

Old 03-02-2006, 06:47 AM
Tim
Enchanter, Enthusiast

I put ~10 lb 15" Kosei K-1 TS on my car with ContinentalTouringContact CV95 (195/60). See here for details. I dropped the overall wheel weight by about 2.7 lbs per wheel. Even with the weight reduction, I can't say anything is better. At highway speeds, I suspect things got a bit worse due to the drag the new spoked wheels produce over the relatively smooth OEM wheel. Both Coyote (see thread noted above) and I are holding out for the summer when weather isn't a factor to see if we can conclude anything. My winter mileage seems to be down 1-2 MPG, but it's been unusually cold as well.

You'll find opinions on both sides, from "why mess with a good thing" to "do what you want". I'd submit that a wheel change will not improve things, and may drop it 0-3 MPG. I held out that hope when I selected my setup - I went for weight reduction in the hopes of having my cake and eat it too (looks and a boost in FE). In the end, it doesn't seem to matter all that much. Given that, you just need to decide what's important to you. If FE tops your list, than your current setup is the way to go. If the sacrifice in MPG is worth the fun and look of having custom wheels, go for it. It's your car - own it however you like!

So you know, the OEM wheel weighs 14.2 lbs.

Last edited by Tim; 03-02-2006 at 08:05 AM.
Old 03-02-2006, 07:03 AM

Now you guys tell me... my dubs are the reason for my recent drop in mpg. D'oh.

Old 03-02-2006, 08:00 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

My early experience with 17" rims and non-LRR tires is that there is some MPG difference, which is almost negligible in city driving, but more pronounced at highway speeds -- 65-75 MPH.

On the highway, when I drive 60-65 MPH, I can still get 50+ MPG. Going over 65 MPH, my MPG seems to drop significantly. While a severe drop in MPG at speeds nearing 70 MPH is true with any HCH I, it seems a bit worse with my current setup.

I would recommend getting the tires and rims that you want for your automobile. I believe that what is important is relative MPG; that is, what MPG are you getting compared to what you would be getting in a similarly-equipped non-hybrid equivalent. I.e. getting new tires and rims will have a similar MPG effect on the HCH as it does on a non-hybrid civic, and so your relative MPG differntial will remain consistent. You get the idea.

Anyway, like Tim said, we will know more after we have more miles and friendly weather under our belts.

Old 03-02-2006, 10:29 AM

You can think however you want to think.

One person can think, "Why get a hybrid if you are going to do mods that hurt the MPG?"
The next person can think, "Well I'm getting better MPG with my modified HCH than I would with a modified EX."

There is no right or wrong.
Do what you feel is right for you.

Why do people think we all have to arrive at the same conclusions?
6 Billion people means 6 Billion conclusions.

Old 03-02-2006, 01:06 PM

Sure there is... modified EX doesn't suffer as much?

Quick Reply: Changing wheels - how bad MPG will be ?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands