Changing wheels - how bad MPG will be ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 01:22 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Changing wheels - how bad MPG will be ?

You have to realize though that the new '06's have different rims than the '06 EX, and different rims than the HCH I's. Were the hybrid rims on the HCH I SPECIFICALLY put on there to reduce drag and increase MPG ???? Because they are for the '06 hybrid. Thats what makes me think that the MPG hit will be worse....

Old 03-02-2006, 02:25 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

To me if you mod a hybrid to get worst FE... then you missed the point of owning a hybrid.

Old 03-02-2006, 03:36 PM
Tim
Enchanter, Enthusiast

Originally Posted by livvie
To me if you mod a hybrid to get worst FE... then you missed the point of owning a hybrid.
I'd say depends what "worse" is. If I take a 1 MPG hit with new wheels, there are lots of things out there that also cause a 1 MPG hit. Rain would do that, wind, cold - heck, having a passenger would cause that. There's lots of things out there that impact FE, some we do to ourselves, some are done to us. I don't think anyone would accuse HCH owners in Michigan of missing the point, just because their climate doesn't allow even EPA mileage. Regardless of what kinds of FE influences you're under due to mods or geography, you're still better off than any other car under the same conditions. I don't think that because I now get 45 as opposed to 46 MPG, that I'm in danger of not being green or saving fuel.

Old 03-02-2006, 05:24 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tim
I'd say depends what "worse" is. If I take a 1 MPG hit with new wheels, there are lots of things out there that also cause a 1 MPG hit. Rain would do that, wind, cold - heck, having a passenger would cause that. There's lots of things out there that impact FE, some we do to ourselves, some are done to us. I don't think anyone would accuse HCH owners in Michigan of missing the point, just because their climate doesn't allow even EPA mileage. Regardless of what kinds of FE influences you're under due to mods or geography, you're still better off than any other car under the same conditions. I don't think that because I now get 45 as opposed to 46 MPG, that I'm in danger of not being green or saving fuel.
I agree, you'll be doing better with this car than any other car with the exception of the prius (in the city) under the same driving conditions;
honestly, i think everyone should be happy with 30+MPG because that's what most econoboxes get in the highway only and it's what this car can achieve in the city alone and up to 44MPG for mixed without even trying.

Old 03-02-2006, 09:29 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I have also heard it said, "if you change your hybrid such that it gets worse MPG, you should not have bought a hybrid in the first place."

It's stuff like this that possibly keeps more people from owning hybrids. The idea that "if you want to own a hybrid, you must conform to these rules and not do anything different" may be a reason why many people see us hybrid-owners as an undesirable cultural anomaly, with little or no impact. We stay in our little exclusive club, and put the bar so high that people are unwilling or unable to get in.

And so I disagree the premise that anybody who modifies their hybrid for function (bike racks, ski/snowboard racks, enhanced but heavy speakers), or for aesthetics, has "missed the point." I would rather get 10 people to buy a hybrid who would not have done so if they were prohibited from changing it in order to make it more useful and enjoyable to them. And the 20% better MPG they each get with their hybrid versus the non-hybrid equivalent will be well worth it, in the grand scheme of things.

Old 03-03-2006, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by Tim
Hehe... ok... add the following line in then: If all things being equal. If net result of mod decreases FE... then you missed the point of owning a hybrid.

Old 03-03-2006, 06:56 AM

I bought a hybrid and put a small block v-8 in it. My mpg went out the window but hey... it's such a cool mod.

Old 03-03-2006, 07:14 AM

LOL, that's funny.

Nobody's proposing to prohibit mods. Some just think its a waste. If that stops some from buying a hybrid then that's their silly issue. If they're afraid to buy a hybrid because they don't think they can make it "cool" then yikes, they probably shouldn't be buying a car in the first place.

The frightening way our culture has turned to achieving self esteem through buying cool things is really disturbing to me. (It used to be the right haircut or latest nikes were enough, but now they spend thousands of dollars on cars in the same empty pursuit of being cool.) Sure it pumps up the economy, but at the same time it's destroying it. Things like 16 year olds buying fancy cars and modding them up with stereos and rims that cost more than the car itself are putting our country into dangerous debt levels, and with few of those people saving money or learning the value in it, living by accumulating debt instead, our economy is in for a real challenge. We're about to have generations of people who have no retirement, no savings, and no way to support themselves, but goshdangit, they had cool rims their whole life. It's not simply a matter of personal choice, at some point it becomes a matter of responsibility.

Last edited by zimbop; 03-03-2006 at 07:19 AM.
Old 03-03-2006, 09:19 AM
Tim
Enchanter, Enthusiast

Originally Posted by livvie
Hehe... ok... add the following line in then: If all things being equal. If net result of mod decreases FE... then you missed the point of owning a hybrid.
I've taken the stance before that if all hybrid technology becomes is electronic turbo-chargers for SUVs and performance sedans we've missed the point. So I can see your point, which I take to mean lets maximize the good this technolgoy can bring. Agreed. However. We all buy the car we do for different reasons. We all have different needs and tollerance levels based on our health, commute, etc. I spend 10-12 hours a week in my car. I could, and the interest of my health and safety, should drive something safe and comfortable. My Civic is adequate, but far short of what I could have picked. I think that concession, along with my desire to drive it correctly and efficiently, puts me in the "getting the point" category. So now, because I made a small concession to make the car more enjoyable for me, I'm out of the club? People own roof racks. People pull trailers. There's a long list of just general "ownership" activities that reduce FE. I think the fact that folks are making their arguably less-versatile hybrids work for them is still "gettting the point". I think folks owning the Lexus and Highlander Hybrids are doing the right thing, even though they're not in the same MPG-club as Prius/HCH/Insight/FEH owners. In the grand scheme of things, it's all movement in the right direction.

I think owning a hybrid at all is a responsible choice. I think proving we can live with them as regular people doing regular things helps the cause. I think the last thing we want to be is a community viewed as odd-ball extremists driving around in our George Jettson cars telling folks that if they're not willing to use them a certain way then don't bother.

Last edited by Tim; 03-03-2006 at 09:24 AM.
Old 03-03-2006, 09:19 AM
Enthusiast

To me, owning a Hybrid is a statement. I feel like I'm doing, well something, to help all of us, the U.S., reduce our dependence on foreign oil. I’m thumbing my nose at those gulf states, even though we really don’t buy oil from most of them anyway.

Background: I own two C5 Corvettes, a Chevy Avalanche 4X4, Audi Allroad. All get not so great gas mileage.

The bulk of my driving for this car is to and from work, and as I can talk to wife into it, use it for short trips close to home. I used to use either one of the C5 Corvettes, or the Avalanche to commute to/from work, depending upon the weather. When driving the Vettes I drive them like I a mad man, whenever possible, but during a commute it’s just not possible. I came to realize it didn't matter what I was driving. I'm stopped or crawling along in traffic with everyone else.

My HCH Hybrid is a comfortable toy for me. It’s my way to balance. We’re now selling off the Audi; wife likes the truck. But within the last week, she’s shown interest in the Toyota Highlander Hybrid. The statement a Hybrid makes seems to be addicting. Watch it within the next few years. Hybrids are catching on – and quickly.

In my “toy” I get to experiment with ways to get better mileage, notice how funny it is that so many people rush, rush around; then within a mile or two I'm right there beside them again. They're getting no where, in a hurry - just like me. Difference is I’m not using as much gas as they are. My commute I call it “taking my place in line”

Now some of the benefits I've realized: I'm less keyed up when I get home. Hard to believe, but I think my commute has gotten shorter but looking at the clock it’s the same amount of time. Cost to operate this car is next to nothing, especially compared to my other vehicles. My HCH is comfortable, easy to drive, sort of mindless so to speak.

To summarize my rant. I don’t see any issue with anyone individualizing their car, I do many modifications to make myself more comfortable. The only area I tend to frown upon is when the individualizing takes away from, in my opinion, the statement owning a Hybrid makes.

Although I’m just one individual I really like giving the finger to middle eastern country’s. Without oil, what contribution are they making to improve mankind? None, and they could do so much to help improve our world. Without oil will they be missed in say 100 years? Dam I wish I was going to be around to see 100 years from now. Alright off my soap box. Enjoy your Hybrids, but keep the Hybrid idea alive.

Last edited by countrysHCH; 03-03-2006 at 09:23 AM.

Quick Reply: Changing wheels - how bad MPG will be ?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands