Check Engine Light

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 02:31 PM
Enthusiast
Default Check Engine Light

I own a 2003 Honda Civic Hybrid and I being my curious self I removed the back seat and turned off the IMA battery. I then wanted to know if I could start the car to see if it would work. Then I turned the IMA back on and put the seat back together and now when I start the car the check engine light is on but the IMA isn't.

Silviu

Old 01-07-2013, 07:03 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Check Engine Light

It will more than likely go off in a few days. H

Old 01-08-2013, 08:49 AM
Active Enthusiast

Interesting 'experiment'. When you said you 'turned off the IMA battery' did you simply unplug it from the wiring harness? More importantly, did the car start without the IMA battery connected? I had wondered the same thing.

As for the Check Engine light, if you don't have your own code reader, you could take it to Autozone or Advance Auto Parts and they will read the code and reset it for free. I'm curious to know what code it showing.

The IMA battery in my car is starting to go, so I have been in a perpetual state of 'Check Engine' and IMA lights on the dash. It's been this way for over a year now. The assist still works, so I just reset the lights when I know I will have a passenger in the car. You get used to the lights after awhile.

Old 01-08-2013, 01:07 PM
Enthusiast

I took the back seat off and there was a on/off switch and turn it off and it started, it tried harder then normal and was louder then normal.

Old 01-08-2013, 01:42 PM

It was loader than normal because it started the car with a normal starter rather than via the IMA and the electric motor.Any time you play around with items like turn off the IMA the check engine light comes on. Hopefully it will go away. HH

Old 01-09-2013, 09:57 PM
Enthusiast

There is actually a video on youtube that talks about the HCH 2003 model where he took the back seats out and removed the protective panels. Yes there is a on and off switch for a good reason.

I was curious about the starting of the car so I figured it had a normal starter powered by the standard 12V battery. Long as there is enough juice in the IMA battery it'll use the electric motor instead.

Since that is being the case I am wondering if the starter needs to be "exercised" once in awhile to keep the parts from seizing up?

I've replaced a starter before and it's simple little motor with a spring. Still these things needs to be used once in awhile.

Old 01-10-2013, 08:02 AM

I have never heard mine. Probably scare the hell out of me if it does start the ICE. H

Old 01-10-2013, 05:09 PM
Think green.

I've only heard my car start with the normal starter once; that was when the IMA battery went bad. The starter did its job just fine, even though it had never been used in over 8 years. I'm guessing the parts do not seize up.