Civic Hybrid 2006 starting/ignition problems, battery related?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 04:20 PM
In love with my HCH
Default Civic Hybrid 2006 starting/ignition problems, battery related?

This morning I had trouble starting my baby. I've never experienced this before... so I have some questions. I haven't gone in for the software update yet.

It would turn on all of the electronics, but the engine at first would not start/turn. Then after holding the ignition in for about 5 sec, I can feel one shake of the engine as it tried to start, but then stop. My hybrid battery charge is nearly full (just 1 bar down), and gas is at 3/4 tank full.

I tried the owner's manual instruction of stepping on the gas pedal half way while turning the ignition. It didn't work -- same result, engine pulsed for one time then stopped, and all i hear is the clicking sound like the starter motor or something.

Then I tried fully stepping on the gas pedal and got the same results. I was able to finally to get it start when I tried stepping down the full pedal it a few more times.

I didn't realize until reading the manual and some posts in the forum today that the car still uses the traditional battery in addition to the hybrid ones. I don't understand why the car needs to rely on something as prone to failure as that old tech battery.

So does this sound like I need to change that battery? My overall MPG is still the same, about 44-48, the same as when I first got the car.

I also noticed that it discharges really fast whrn I first drive the car -- I start the car and it has nearly a full charge. However after about a minute of driving, the battery starts to drain really quickly, and over the next 5 minutes my hybrid battery is completely drained and goes into charging mode.

This happens no matter what type of driving -- either slow street driving around my house, or leaving work, which is about 2 minutes away from the freeway. I also am very careful about not blasting the A/C or radio when I start.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? thanks!

Old 09-08-2010, 05:20 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Civic Hybrid 2006 starting/ignition problems, battery related?

I have a 2007 HCH with 34,000 miles that has become unpredictable, unreliable and unsafe - and Honda knows about the problem but chooses not to fix it. The battery, especially after being in the heat, suddenly drops to no or one bar and the battery stops providing any assistance and won't charge properly either.

Old 09-08-2010, 07:42 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Arthur, I think you need a 12 Volt battery. There is a eye you look into on top of the battery and it should look like a red dot surrounded by blue. If its not this color then you have a weak 12 V .You can also check the voltage. Read your manual. H

Old 09-02-2011, 04:19 PM
Enthusiast

Mine is having the same issue. The 12v indicator shows red surrounded by blue. Havent checked it with my voltmeter yet.

What was your end result?

Thanks
Joe

Old 09-02-2011, 05:43 PM

It was probably a weak 12V battery! The 12v operates the PC! H

Old 09-02-2011, 05:44 PM

Also make sure the 12V connections are clean and tight. H

Old 09-02-2011, 10:47 PM
In love with my HCH

turns out it was a weak/dead 12V. about 2 days later, of course on the few days it rains, the car dies and i had to get it towed. I had so much gunk on the battery that i couldn't read the status indicator color so i thought it was fine.

but i still have the problem of the IMA always losing all charge after about 5-6 hours of inactivity.

Old 09-02-2011, 10:47 PM
In love with my HCH

Originally Posted by grimbergen
turns out it was a weak/dead 12V. about 2 days later, of course on the few days it rains, the car dies and i had to get it towed. I had so much gunk on the battery that i couldn't read the status indicator color so i thought it was fine.

but i still have the problem of the IMA always losing all charge after about 5-6 hours of inactivity.
to clarify, i had to tow it as it couldn't be revived with a jump.

Old 09-03-2011, 07:44 AM

I can park my 2006 HCH2 for 60 days and when I return the SOC has not changed. You are loosing all SOC over night! Sounds like a stick is draining all? Have you gone to Honda on this issue? H

Old 09-04-2011, 10:04 PM
In love with my HCH

Originally Posted by Harold
I can park my 2006 HCH2 for 60 days and when I return the SOC has not changed. You are loosing all SOC over night! Sounds like a stick is draining all? Have you gone to Honda on this issue? H
I have... I my car regularly to the dealer for service and all they said they could do are the usual firmware updates for the recalls and such. They've been trustworthy in the past, i.e. accurate estimates on brake life, etc and i've had other free things done by them that I figured I could trust them.

maybe i should take it to another dealer?

Quick Reply: Civic Hybrid 2006 starting/ignition problems, battery related?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands