Civic Hybrid IMA problems after fuel screw up

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 06:20 AM
Enthusiast
Default Civic Hybrid IMA problems after fuel screw up

Hi all. I am having mucho problems with my 08 civ hybrid.

Last week I accidentally put diesel fuel in it (mislabled gas can, my father in law doesn't keep it in the yellow cans like you're supposed to) and it promptly died. After a few attempts at diluting and changing spark plugs, I had it towed to my mechanic, who said it was fixed but it absolutely is not.

Here are my problems

1. hard cranking; this seemed to start as I was trying to fix it, maybe I ruined the starter. It's also -10 here right now

2. battery light: makes sense, when I got home I tried to start it and it was pretty much dead. Headlights would alternated between dim and full brightness every minute or so during the 20 minute drive home. I have the battery on a charger all day today, but maybe a new battery is needed?

3. Check engine light with a variety of codes that come and go, more on this when I get to check it again.

4. IMA light + no functioning of the hybrid system (no indicated or felt charging or discharging when slowing/accelerating). This one has me worried for obvious reasons, but I have a hard time accepting that running on diesel ruined the hybrid battery.

Any thoughts? My inclination is to replace the battery and see where that goes, but I'm already $450 into this repair and would like to avoid just throwing money at it.

Old 02-19-2015, 03:01 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Civic Hybrid IMA problems after fuel screw up

Update your profile with location.

The extreme cold is a factor.

Replace 12V battery if more than 2 years old. Get yourself a voltmeter you can plug into your cigarette lighter to monitor your charging. When the IMA system is inoperative, you will only charge between about 1500 and 3500 rpm.

Read and report all codes.

I would disregard any IMA system troubles until the diesel issue is completely fixed.