Coasting in Neutral?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 08:26 PM
Enthusiast
Default Coasting in Neutral?

In the "old" days (and even more recent), the traditional trannies like the C-4/6, TH350/400, PG, etc., all required the tranny to be in a gear (not neutral) in order to lubricate the innards. Does this hold true for the CVT? Can I coast by putting the CVT into neutral?

Old 05-03-2008, 06:53 PM
Wo ai Zheng!
Default Re: Coasting in Neutral?

Learn the P&G (Pulse and Glide) technique. Better than putting the trans in neutral.

Old 05-03-2008, 07:26 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by mmrmnhrm
Learn the P&G (Pulse and Glide) technique. Better than putting the trans in neutral.
Hmmm, I thought you did the Glide part in "N" (I do). Is it not safe?

Old 05-03-2008, 09:01 PM
Enthusiast

Of what I saw of the 'pulse and glide', that is for specific period or type of driving.

If I can find out whether coasting in neutral will not damage the tranny, I can apply the use in many applications like long slight downhill grades where I don't want the drag of the CVT, electric motor, or whatever is dragging.

Originally Posted by BigTuna
The traditional transmisstion is lubricated by a pump that is driven by the rotation of the tranny input shaft when the tranny is in gear (reverse or any forward gear).

Just remember, if it has moving parts, it probably is lubricated, but how?

I guess al Blingo 'CVT' and see what I can find. ....was thinking this was brought up before in some obscure discussion I couldn't find!

Old 05-03-2008, 09:21 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BigTuna
Just as I thought! The input shaft drives the oil pump of the CVT, when in gear...

From Automatic Transmisssiong Service Group's website ( http://atsg.biz/articles/html/CVT%20...VT%20World.htm ):

When the clutch is completely disengaged, it isolates the pulleys and belts from the front wheels. This prevents extreme internal damage should the vehicle betowed with the front wheels on the ground.
I'll just keep it in gear!

Old 05-04-2008, 09:22 AM
Active Enthusiast

This is a good question for msantos (living HCHII encyclopedia), or your Honda service department.

Old 05-04-2008, 10:26 AM
Wo ai Zheng!

No, P&G is getting up to to speed (or a little above), then backing off your foot so you get max iMPG plus a bar or two of regen, then adding just enough foot pressure to cancel out the regen without going into assist. In this mode, your car seals up the intake/exhaust valves to eliminate pumping losses, but the CVT and engine crankshaft are still turning, ensuring proper lubrication of all moving parts. With a little practice, you can then go into evglide (electric assist with the valves still closed), which will lengthen the distance you can go without restarting the ICE (gas engine), but also drains your SoC (battery state of charge).

Old 12-29-2011, 10:30 AM
Enthusiast

I finally talked to a Honda Service Writer who owns an HCH. He said coasting in neutral does not hurt/damage the CVT like the conventional transmisstions with torque converters. He didn't explain how it is lubricated, but mentioned that the highest oil pressure is from zero to 25mph when the clutch fully disengages (or is it engages?)

BTW, he hypermiles, too, by inflating his tires to 45 pounds, but he doesn't tell his boss!

Last edited by HCHRobert; 12-29-2011 at 10:32 AM.
Old 12-29-2011, 12:22 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

There is no advantage to go into neutral with a HCH! When coasting you are in regen and you can coast without regen by adding a bit of throttle until regen bars go away. Chris spelled it out well. Study what he told you! H

Old 12-29-2011, 03:05 PM
Enthusiast

Qualifier Question: What, in the engine, changes reciprocating motion into rotary motion? (Automotive 101 knowledge!)

In this mode, your car seals up the intake/exhaust valves to eliminate pumping losses, but the CVT and engine crankshaft are still turning, ensuring proper lubrication of all moving parts. With a little practice, you can then go into evglide (electric assist with the valves still closed)...
This explanation has one or two flags. Maybe "seals" is not the right word? If the engine's intake and exhaust valves are closed, the engine will stop due to the lack of air, fuel and ignition. I CAN see it more like the valves have less lift therefore open less than normally.

Lifting off the accelerator just enough to not use the electric motor assist and more pedal to not invoke a regen...is not coasting. When you put the car in neutral to coast, the driver normally takes their foot off the accelerator pedal and thus, the engine idles. Test this on the freeway or when you are driving at 35 mph or above...you are NOT in a coasting situation when the engine is still above idle showing that the gas engine is still powering the car's front wheels to maintain the speed.

If the P&G can be explained more technically, it may make sense, but so far, it doesn.t.

Note, I get this backwards most of the time: When the clutch, as I stated, is disengaging, 0-25MPH, you may experience the coasting or EVmode, but I doubt the EVmode. I don't trust the regen/usage meter of the electric assist, especially after the reprogramming of the '06-'08 HCHes.

All I can state is my understanding that...when the guage is not in regen or usage mode, the internal combustion engine is still powering the front wheels.

'nuff said.

---Did anyone know the answer to the question within one second after reading it? For those who didn't, think things out before believing any explanations, then ask more.

Quick Reply: Coasting in Neutral?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands