cruise control

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2004, 07:13 AM
Enthusiast

new here, hi everyone

do you use cruise control to attain your best MPG? I drive 44 miles each way on my communte every day, and about 40 of it is highway...flats and small hills along the way, have just started trying to attain the best MPG I can get.

the weather here is hot and humid (washington dc) so I do use the AC more than I would like.

For the last few days I am currently at 43.1 MPG with stock tire pressure (which I will change this afternoon)

Old 05-26-2004, 08:50 AM
Site Founder

I think it's the general concensus that cruise control will give relatively good mileage, but not nearly what can be achieved with the foot to the pedals. After all, the human brain looking at surroundings is much smarter than a computer trying to keep a constant speed.

Old 05-26-2004, 10:24 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hi videian and welcome to the community.

When I bought my car last January I also wanted to get great MPG.
I really didn't know where to start. I'd heard cruise control was best on a conventional car but my HCH wasn't doing all that great with it.

I'd heard some of the Insighter's make a game of getting stellar MPG (+110MPG) so I took thier driving tips & advice and applied it to my HCH.

WOW what a difference.
I'm consistantly getting 58-62MPG on my 45mile twice daily commute, sometimes even more than 65MPG. Tank averages are always around 58MPG, and more than 700 miles to a tank. Occasional family excursions included.
(See the typical pic links in my Signature below)
The Fuel Consumption Display accuracy is verified every other tank.

I'm someone who used to lock cruise control in on my old car at 80-85MPH and swerve around traffic... I've now purged all those bad habbits.
Instead of the exitement of the thrill, I play the exitement of the game.
Along with other techniques I drive about the speed limits now and it adds about 10 minutes to my daily trip.
I don't mind..kind of like playing an arcade game and winning extra time.
Instead of depositing quarters to play you get big $$$ back.

Since I had to scour the web and converse with many Insight gamers for tips, I collected them and Jason was good enough to assist in an article for Greenhybrid.
The article is in the Learning section of this site at:
Driving for Efficiency

I'm certainly NOT saying this is you but so many people buy these cars but retain bad driving habbits. Some may admit bad habbits but expect the car to compensate. Others might think they drive for economy but really aren't aware.

I admit that I go to some non-typical measures to get my MPG but even scaled back to more reasonalble measures I can easily get better than 55-60MPG.
Barring a mechanical malfunction, If I can get these than others can too.
Thanks
Steve

Old 05-28-2004, 11:28 AM
Enthusiast

Barring a mechanical malfunction, If I can get these than others can too.
I don't think I will ever get close to your numbers lol, I am not that patient...not even close

Old 05-28-2004, 11:53 AM
Contributor ($)

As much as I was certain that I "needed" cruise control. I find I rarely use it. It is a good tool for maintaining speed, but not necessarily the best tool for getting the highest mpg.
By checking your "game guage" and reacting accordingly, you will achieve better mileage than the cruise control.

Old 05-28-2004, 11:55 AM

Yea perhaps I was jumping it there a bit, but at least it is nice to know that
we have the TOOLS already built into our car if extreme economy is required.
Thanks
Steve

Old 05-28-2004, 11:57 AM
Enthusiast

hehe, this morning I was so involved with listening to my audio book and trying to squeeze every ounce out of my hybrid I did not realize I until I was in my office that I totallly forgot about my cup of coffee still in the car (that I had not taken a sip of lol)...and that was an hour commute!

Old 06-09-2004, 05:06 PM
Enthusiast

Greetings All,

I have been commuting (55mi one way) with my new HCH CVT for about five weeks or so, and basically driving prudently (speed limit or slightly below), and putting the car in cruise. I have been averaging about 50-54mpg.

Got my oil changed for the first time on Monday, and the last two days I am averaging about 56-58mpg. (Coincidence? I do not know. Comments anyone?)

After reading the Driving For Efficiency article this afternoon, I decided to try some the techniques on the way home. I pulled into the garage at 64.1mpg!
Wow. BIG wow!

I hope to confirm that this is not a fluke over the next week or so...

Bottom line: the article is well written and informative - way to go!

rpdog

Old 06-09-2004, 07:00 PM

Thanks, I'm happy that someone could use those!
Wayne (xcel) for his tips and Jason also get credit
My last tank average wasn't as high as it usually is. (Borrowing the car etc)
The last couple of trips on that tank I was really exhausted so I set the Cruise Control
to 68MPH and took the freeway.
Arrived 10 minutes sooner on my 45 mile commute getting only 49-50MPG, that's a 12 MPG drop from typical.
Well sometimes you have to "test" the Cruise Control system.....right?

Old 06-09-2004, 07:05 PM
Site Founder

For your information, sir, you currently have the most popular article at GreenHybrid with 89 page 1 views so far this month.