Crying coworkers, driveway ornaments

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 04:19 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Crying coworkers, driveway ornaments

Overheard today at work:

"I paid $50 for my tank of gas today."

"Yeah that is why I hardly ever drive my Tuareg anymore, it takes premium only."

I wonder how many low gas mileage cars are becoming upscale driveway ornaments.

I live in CA, a gallon of regular is real close to $3.00, probably break that this summer.

I can fill for about $30, and the tank lasts for 3 weeks.

Old 04-14-2006, 04:23 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Crying coworkers, driveway ornaments

HA HA, for that reason ALONE, I wished I worked in a place where I could hear my co-workers chat about things like that. I live in LA too, in La Verne, and gas is pretty much about 2.90 out here. And thats cheaper than most areas around here....

Gas will DEFINITELY break the 3 dollar barrier. Probably by May.

Old 04-14-2006, 04:24 PM

Oh, worst of all, my best friend drives a 91 Camaro thats pretty tricked out, but takes PREMIUM also....I feel bad for him....

Old 04-14-2006, 06:03 PM
Banned
Default Gas Whiners: Get a Grip

A number of forums (probably somewhere here) you get the get this very common boast in the jumbo SUV vs. hybrid arguement:

Originally Posted by anomoyous SUV Poseur
You treehuggers are jealous that with the hard-earned money I can do whatever I ****ing please.
Now a lot of the "real men" are crying about the pump prices, using their credit cards and dipping out of their retirement.

Old 04-14-2006, 06:22 PM
Enthusiast

Gas in my neighborhood (southern CA-Calabasas/Agoura) is $3.10 for regular. My husband and I both drive hybrids, and we thumb our noses at the gas stations as we cruise by on battery power. Many of our co-workers have ditched their luxury cars and purchased hybrids. Yeah, we can afford the hummers, and the gas, but who really cares? It's not about status, it's about sustainability and common sense. Gas guzzlers and their drivers are beginning to seem more and more foolish...tee hee.

Old 04-14-2006, 08:17 PM

My truck sits as a lawn ornament collecting dust and pollen unless I need to use it, ex: to haul or tow or for 4x4. Today was the first time I drove it in two weeks and I drove it a mile up the road to the store just to charge the battery and keep the truck from rusting. I love my HCHII!

Old 04-14-2006, 08:48 PM
Active Enthusiast

best not to get too smug ... there are plenty of oppt's to walk, use public transportation or cycle that we can avail ourselves to that we don't. Our car's are just as dependant on gasoline as SUV's and will be sidewalk ornaments too if we can't fill them up.

Last edited by Cityscapex5; 04-14-2006 at 08:50 PM.
Old 04-14-2006, 09:08 PM
Banned
Default "Smugness" or "Payback", etc...

My feelings are more of "payback" at the people that feel the need to spend 4-5 times the gas to meet their perceived ego needs. Payback is not such a great virtue, either.

Is this Drive Necessary?

That was a World War II slogan my grandparents heard when gas was rationed. I run or work out 5-6 times a week. On work days, the gym is on the way to work, but there's no guarantee of getting a treadmill. At times, I have been jogging around the neighboorhood, but the daytime weather is about to get warm in Texas.

Last weekend I brokdown and got a treadmill. It would be interesting to compare the energy it uses vs. driving to the gym and using their treadmills. Funny thing was fitting it in the back of my Insight. Had to go in front first and half of it was hanging out past the hatchback. If it was half an inch wider, it would not have fit. Due to the hatchback being jammed wide open, my mpg was about 50 instead of 75.