Defective Block Heater???

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 06:59 PM
Enthusiast
Default Defective Block Heater???

I got mine installed yesterday on my '08, temps have been in the mid 20's here and when I let the car completely cool down I plugged it in. After about 3-4 hrs. On the block heater I went out and checked the temp. It was on 3 bars. Alright I guess. So last night I plugged it in for the overnight to work today. Got into the car and had a big fat zero on the temp gauge, 1 single bar, which I think is standard when starting.
Questions, Do the heaters stay on all night if plugged directly into a 12 ft. extension cord (12ga.) with no timer. I was figuring on some warmth this morning and got none.
I am running another test as we speak. The extension is getting power so that can't be it. I tested its output and seems fine. Could it be a defective? I bought it off of Bernardi and had the Dealer Install it. Would the Dealer replace it if it is or charge me for a new one if defective? Also, I have to look again but it seems like it was not routed the way the .pdf says to do it.
Would the Dealership replace it or would I have to contact Bernardi if it truly does not work?
I intended on using a timer but haven't got one yet, what max wattage should I get?
Do these thing cycle periodically throughout the night?

Thanks.

**UPDATE**

Went it checked it again today. Checked all connections from the wall all the way to the block heater itself. They are good.

I reached down and felt the block heater with my hand and it is slightly warm and thats it. Still get 1 bar on gauge after 10 hrs plugged in.

What to do now? Since I bought it at Bernardi and had it Dealer installed?
Will the Dealer replace it because its an OEM Honda part free of charge or am I SOL and have to pay to have a new one installed?

Anyone!!!

Old 02-15-2008, 08:10 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Defective Block Heater???

Hello. I'm pretty sure that the block heater stays on as long as it's plugged in. That is why people use timers. However, they could have changed that for the '08 (I doubt it though). I really do not think that your dealer will replace it for you. I personally don't use a BH, so I can't tell you what's going on. I would try and contact someone at Bernardi and see what the return process is.

Old 02-15-2008, 08:17 PM

No bars when cold. If you have one bar then its doing its thing!H

Old 02-17-2008, 05:55 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Steve,
It depends on ambient temperature. I plug mine in on a timer for about 3 hours before going to work. If it's below freezing I won't see any indication of warmth on the temp gauge. But when I drive, I begin to get heat after a couple of blocks. By the time I'm at a mile, I've got several bars on my temp gauge (at around 20 deg F). If I don't plug it in, I don't get heat until probably about a mile, and it takes much longer for the car to completely warm up.

When the temps are warmer, I'll get some bars on the temp gauge after leaving it plugged in for 3 hours. Again, it depends on the outside temp.

Nothing you've described here sounds out of the ordinary based on my experience. The only thing that is surprising is that you got three bars the first time at 20 deg. ambient. But I suspect there was still some residual heat in the water, even though you thought it was completely cold.

So far as the type of timer to get, the heater pulls roughly 400 watts. If you just buy a timer that is listed as heavy duty and has a three pronged outlet, you should be fine.

Last edited by toast64; 02-17-2008 at 05:57 AM.
Old 02-25-2008, 06:48 AM
Active Enthusiast

Marine is right,
A 400 watt heater isn't going to get your engine very warm. You have a big hunk of uninsulated aluminum being heated by a few hundred watts in fairly cold ambient temps.
Get a "kill-a-watt" meter or equivalent and see if it is using energy. Or test it with an ohmmeter. It should read less than ~50 ohms when cold.
-
Martin

Old 02-25-2008, 05:26 PM

I don't have a ScanGauge or an engine block heater on the HCH, but I do on the MMH. When I plug it in (in an insulated, but non-heated garage using 3 hours of timer), I usually see temps in the low 100s with the ambient temperature somewhere around 40 in the garage--20 outside. Since I have yet to plug in the SG in the HCH, and since I've never used the temp gauge in the HCH, I don't know what low 100s would mean in HCH bars... Still, I don't think that ~110 degrees would be much over 3 bars if ~190 is normal and ~240 is red-zone hot.

Last edited by kristian; 02-25-2008 at 05:30 PM.
Old 02-27-2008, 05:09 PM
Enthusiast
Post Re: Defective Block Heater???

Just my two cents. I am not trying to be Cliff Claven here OK.

Actually the block heaters purpose is to maintain the coolants at an optimum temperature for starting. It doesn't heat the oil at all (Not inserted in the oil pan, I know I will get an argument on this). By heating the aluminum block the temperature of the oil will get some heat after 3~4 hours depending on the outside temperature, as well as the rest of the engine components. This will be better for your vehicle for starting purposes only in cold weather. This is when most of the engine wear will occur when the oil/coolants are cold. You can get a hose heater for your coolants as well for a faster heat up and a battery heater. It's not a good substitute for heating your vehicle, nor should we all run the vehicle for 15 minute idling to heat the vehicle.

Another good tip that I have learned from this site is that we should put the block heater on a 3~4 hour timer before you are planning to leave. My last vehicle I would leave it overnight.

Old 02-27-2008, 05:12 PM
Enthusiast

I forgot to mention that the standard Honda oil is 0W20 is a semi synthetic. It is a real thin oil that is good for starting in cold temperatures, and not that I can knock Mobil one in anyway shape or form, you can save a few bucks buying the Honda oil and filters in bulk at the dealer. I am not sure the price.