Do you change your own oil?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2004, 03:59 PM
Enthusiast

Just wondering how many of you change your own oil. I'm used to changing it on my geo, since I didn't need to jack up the car. Do you need to jack up a hybrid civic to change the oil? Also do you need a special wrench to replace the oil filter?

Any help, and tips would be appreciated. . .

aspenboy

Old 07-14-2004, 04:03 PM
Enthusiast

also, I live in Berkeley, California so it never gets too cold or too hot. What's the best type of oil to use here? Hopefully not the expensive stuff.

thanks,

aspenboy

Old 07-14-2004, 04:32 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

There is a panel underneath the engine that directs air flow and reduces wind resistance and I understand that this will need to be partially or fully removed.

Personally I take my HCH to the dealer for this.
Thanks

Old 07-14-2004, 06:05 PM

Hi Aspenboy:

___First off, congrats on hitting the Hypermiler list. I should have caught your stats earlier. Sorry about that.

___Second off, the local Honda dealer near me changes oil for just $9.36 as long as I have my own oil and filter in hand. Once I found out about this deal, I haven’t changed oil in any of my automobiles since!

___Anyways, a good hyper miler knows the kinematic viscosity of Mobil1 0W-20 is the lowest for any recommended oil for our Honda and Prius Hybrids. You own a Geo Metro, right? I believe that might use 5W-30? Same applies. Pick up however many quarts you need of Mobil1 5W-30 synthetic and you will be set. For us Insighter’s, we only need 2.5 quarts. I am sure your Geo doesn’t use much more either so ~ $13.50 for 3 Quarts of Mobil1 5W-30 from your local Walmart, a Walmart purchased SuperTech filter (made by Champion Labs), and you should be set. The last time I purchased oil for the mowers, I found Mobil1 5W-30 synthetic for just $18.44 in a 5 quart container from you guessed it, Walmart. Nice way to save even more $’s since you will have a few quarts left over for the next oil change. I always ask for the ½ quart back to use on the Insight’s next oil change myself. I am assuming your Geo needs no more then 3 quarts but make sure up front is all …

___Finally, if you do a ton of highway miles, 7,500 miles between oil changes is a given. In fact, with Mobil1, many run 10,000 - 12,500 miles with no issues. Stick to your recommended longest intervals however and you will be good to go for a very very long time.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Old 07-14-2004, 07:08 PM

I am also deciding if I should do it myself or take it to the dealer.
I have always taken it to the dealer.
I found out they use a petrolium oil - not synthetic.
I guess I could bring the Mobile 1 with me.

But is that walmart oil filter the best?
Is the Honda one better.
I don't care which is cheaper this is a low priced item.
I just want whatever is best.

My main motiviation for doing it myself is time.
Driving to and from the dealer and waiting for them to do it eats up 2 to 3 hours from my day.
I'd guess it would take under 30 minutes to do it myself once I get the hang of it.

Time is precious.
So if I do it myself do i really need a lift?
What about those things you put in front of the wheels and drive up onto?
ARE they safe?
ARe they high enough?

Old 07-14-2004, 07:33 PM

Hi Kenny:

___Is the Walmart purchased SuperTech the best? Single pass efficiency of 98% under SAE HS806 and Multi-Pass of 99% under SAE J1858. The SuperTech’s are designed and built by Champion Labs (makers of the Bosch, Mobil1, STP, and SuperTech filters) here in the US. The Champion Labs ADBV are touted to be the best in the business. They (Bosch, STP, and SuperTech) use a semi-synthetic media instead of simple paper. The Mobil1 uses an all-synthetic media for even better low micron filtering at the expense of higher Delta P’s. Do change your filter at every oil change because they are so inexpensive … And with that, the real appeal of the Walmart purchased SuperTech’s is that they are < $2.00

___Many Honda filters are junk Fram’s. Some of the later ones are supposed to be better but I haven’t followed this up in maybe 6 or so months. Bitog is the place to see real world filters cut open, dissected, and discussed to the ends of the earth. If you find something new, please link it back here so we can all enjoy the fruits of your labors …

___Time … There is an interesting issue with most Honda hybrids. There are under body covers that need to be removed and they are not easy to get too. The biggest issue however is with the Insight’s magnesium oil pan. If you did happen to strip the threads for the drain bolt, you are speaking of $140 to maybe a $400 repair. There are Insighter’s that had the ramps shoot out from the car when driving up the ramps. Do you drive your used oil to the local recycler or dump it in the garbage (DO NOT DUMP YOUR USED OIL IN THE GARBAGE IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM!). When I make an oil change appointment with them (local Honda dealer just 3 miles away), they give me a time to bring the automobile in. I haven’t spent more then 1 hour of my time waiting in the last 7 or so changes w/ the MDX, Corolla, and Insight.

___I know most of the above is written with an Insighter’s experience but if your local Honda dealer will provide the change for just $9.xx USD, take your Mobil1 synthetic and SuperTech or whatever you decide to use in and get the best change in the business. Make sure they only fill your automobile up to between the midpoint and High level of the dip stick. It might give you another small increase in fuel economy vs. filled to the full mark.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Old 07-15-2004, 04:24 AM
Contributor ($)

Kenny:
You asked

What about those things you put in front of the wheels and drive up onto?
ARE they safe?
ARe they high enough?
Car ramps do raise the car high enough and make the job easier. They are safe when used properly.

But...rather than change my own oil, because of the low cost, I, too, have recently chosen to have dealer do it. I bring in my own Mobil 1 oil and filter.

Old 07-16-2004, 07:08 AM

Eric
What filter brand and model number do you buy?

The main reason I am thinking of doing it myself is time.

Also trust.

I can read the manual and buy a torque wrench to I KNOW I torqued the drain plug to spec.
I KNOW I didn't forget to put in the washer.
I KNOW I didn't fill it too high.
I KNOW I really did put that Mobile 1 in and the right filter.

Mechanics at dealers do the same thing over and over and get into routines.
They are human, mistakes can happen when I ask them to MODIFY their routine.

I remember my dad told me when he was in college he worked at a gas station.
A guy would come in with a fancy car and a bottle of distilled water for the radiator.
Dad, the proverbial smart a**, would take the car to the back, dump the distilled water, and put in tap water.

Now when it comes to the other maintenance stuff I am going to just trust them.
But the oil changes are simple and, once I get the tools and get the process down, I may do them.

Oh, and the manual calls out the first oil change at 10,000 miles or 5,000 miles for severe conditions.
I am at 3000 something.
Is it bad to do it too early?
Is there some special additive in the new car oil that is SUPPOSED to remain there for 5000 miles to break in the car?
I asked the dealer, they didn't know.

Old 07-16-2004, 09:02 AM
Contributor ($)

Kenny,
First I want to reiterate that I own an Insight, not a Civic, so brand and model won't correspond to the Civic

Would someone with a Civic please respond with the brand and model of filter they use?

Time and trust are certainly important factors to consider regarding oil changes.

For me it involves very little time. I drop it off 3 blocks from my work, and pick it up at the end of the day. Because very few Insights come in to his shop and because I’m clear about what I want, I trust the job my mechanic does for oil changes.

On the Insight, I’m most concerned about stripping the threads on the oil pan. It’s made of a special metal and is a costly item to repair.

Is it bad to do it too early?
Is there some special additive in the new car oil that is SUPPOSED to remain there for 5000 miles to break in the car?
I have never heard of a problem with doing it too early or of any special additive.

Old 07-16-2004, 11:17 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

While I haven't changed the oil and filter yet, the dealer gave me 3 changes but after the first change I will do it myself from now on. I did get Mobil 1 but it is hard to find around here, I help with oil analysis at the company I work for and had to go to the Mobil dist. for her to order it. I could not find it ANYWHERE. The dealer told me " they don't make 0w-20 in syn. yet. Now you can see one of the reasons why I will be doing it myself. When I told him that they do make it he told me to bring it in because IF they can get it the markup will be crazy. As for the filter for my HCH I will probably use the Mobil 1 filter. Looking for a hyd. jack and stands soon. as it will be time to change in the next month or so.

Quick Reply: Do you change your own oil?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands