Does this sound about right?

Old 05-07-2006, 10:52 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Does this sound about right?

Hey everyone...I'm new here. I just ordered a 2006 Honda Civic Hybrid in Magnetic Pearl. I called the dealer yesterday (as he instructed) to get the "update" on its arrival date. The conversation went something like this:

Dealer: "We've ordered your car, but we can never guarantee that the exact car we order is the car we will receive."

Me: "So, when do you suspect you might find out?"

D: "We should get the car in late July."

M: "So I just need to be patient and sit and wait until the end of July and hope that the car that arrives is the car I ordered?"

D: "Yes, that's correct. However, there is a chance that we might be able to work a trade of some kind and get your car before July."

M: "That would be great."

D: "Yes, but there's also a chance that we might not get the car you want in the July transaction at which point we'd have to start the process again."

M: "So, what you're telling me is that we should get the car by late July, although possibly before then and possibly after then, and the car you get may or may not be the car I ordered?"

D: "Yes, that's correct."

What the hell?
Question 1, does this sound reasonable to anyone who is more familiar with the car business than I?
Question 2, is there any kind of vehicle search I can do to find the car I want at another dealer (short of calling every Honda dealer in IL)?

If I need to be patient, please gently scold me and I'll return to my daily duties content. Either way, I'm excited to join this forum and learn/teach as we all go along. Thanks!

Jordan

Old 05-07-2006, 11:07 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Does this sound about right?

It's a seller's market.

Also, I think Honda doesn't tell their dealers much.

Old 05-07-2006, 11:13 AM
Wo ai Zheng!

That's about par for the course... I laid down my $500 deposit for my mag pearl just after Christmas with an expected ship date around 1/20 or so. Unfortunately, that shipment and the one just after it didn't have my mag pearl, just the backorders for some galaxy grays. Mine didn't actually hit the boat until early March. The waiting sucked, but it was well worth it. I think kenny's right, though, that Honda doesn't tell their dealers much. When I dropped in at the Toyota dealer during my initial shopping, they couldn't even tell me when they'd have another Prius on the lot to see if I could fit, nor did they have an estimate on when the Camry would start shipping.

Old 05-07-2006, 11:33 AM
Active Enthusiast

I found a good deal at 3 different dealers, none of which are a local drive but all within 3 hours and each has a decent price (between $26k and $27k) for all the accesories I want with NAV. This is the price to pick up the keys.

I put a (refundable) deposit with the dealers and whichever arrives first gets my money. Simle as that.

Thanks,
Shawn

Old 05-07-2006, 11:39 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Well, welcome, Jordan. I hope you get it in July, or before. I had a similar discussion with a Toyota dealer a couple of years ago when I was thinking about a Prius.
"If I order one, how long will it take?"
"Well, probably three months or so. What we do is order yours, then put you on the list. When one comes in, we start calling down the list, telling people what package and color it is. If they want it, they can come get it. If not, they stay on the list. Eventually you'll get what you want."

The HCHII was a lot more available in my area before gas prices shot up recently. When I bought mine, there were four on the lot, and the dealer said, "we don't sell many of these". Now there isn't one anywhere in town.

Good luck, and enjoy the site. Look around, and you may be an FE "brown belt" before you even get the car!!

Old 05-07-2006, 11:57 AM
Enthusiast

It's about right. Pretty much the same thing happened with my Mag Pearl. Put the deposit down Sept. 19th. First hybrids began arriving at the dealer early in November. No Mag Pearls, just Opal Silver Blues, Alabaster Silvers and Galaxy Greys. They got one Mag Pearl, but the person who got that one who close friends with a high up at Honda America,who specially ordered it for the person. They finally got a Mag Pearl they could sell via a trade from another dealer for a white one early in January. I was 1st on the list for Mag Pearl and the car was mine.

Old 05-07-2006, 12:06 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Arrow Re: Does this sound about right?

Jordan, we live in an insane world. Welcome to it. If you have the resources, try what I did... leave deposits at several dealers, and see which one can get your car first.

Old 05-07-2006, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by TerrierMom
It's about right. Pretty much the same thing happened with my Mag Pearl. Put the deposit down Sept. 19th. First hybrids began arriving at the dealer early in November. No Mag Pearls, just Opal Silver Blues, Alabaster Silvers and Galaxy Greys. They got one Mag Pearl, but the person who got that one who close friends with a high up at Honda America,who specially ordered it for the person. They finally got a Mag Pearl they could sell via a trade from another dealer for a white one early in January. I was 1st on the list for Mag Pearl and the car was mine.
Hmmm, maybe I should put my Mag Pearl up for sale? I'm not that particular about color, and if I could turn a quick and tidy profit...

Old 05-07-2006, 01:48 PM

I don't know where you live but even in Houston not many dealers have them. I did look at where I bought my 04 from and they have 2 Hybrids in stock, It doesn't say what color they are thou. Also it looks like 2 Accord Hybrids are there too.kevin

Old 05-08-2006, 04:41 AM
Active Enthusiast

I just got a call from the (second) dealership where I had ordered my Mag Pearl HCH.

The car they "special ordered" for me arrived and they wanted to know if I was still interested in it. I laughed at them...when I ordered it in December they told me it would be late-February (early-March at the LATEST) before it arrived. Hmmm....on my calendar May comes a bit after February and March.

I don't believe for a minute that they "special ordered" it - I think they were stringing me along hoping to be allocated one in Mag Pearl w/Nav as part of their regular shipments.

I told them no thanks, I already picked mine up at another dealer - IN FEBRUARY....of course I had to drive about 6 hours round-trip (in a snowstorm) to get it, but it was still worth the trip.

I guess I'm saying, widen your search - call around to dealerships outside your area, it only costs you a phone call. Your local dealer might tell you there are none to be had, but that might just mean that there are none available as a dealer trade to them.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Does this sound about right?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands