Door Trim has come unstuck

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 05:35 PM
Enthusiast
Default Door Trim has come unstuck

The trim/molding on the back driver's side door of my HCH has popped loose from the door. It's now pulled away from the door enough that if the back door is opened before the front door, the back door trim catches on the front door trim and gets pulled away even more.

When I pull back the trim, I can see a hole in the door where it appears that a clip used to fasten it, but it doesn't any more. I'd like to avoid removing the trim completely and replacing the clip (or all of the clips). Projects like that don't tend to turn out well for me.

What type of glue should I use to re-attach the plastic trim to the painted metal door? Is there some two-sided tape that would work in this case?

Thanks.

Old 04-15-2008, 10:18 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Door Trim has come unstuck

Is your car still under warranty?? You could just take it in. I wouldn't glue it, because in a few years the molding may start to crack and it will be hard to replace if it's glued down.
Good Luck

Old 05-03-2008, 08:50 PM
Aspiring Hypermiler
Default Re: Door Trim has come unstuck

My dealer service department removed my frontt door panels to replace the sticky door latch mechanisms under warranty. After that service I noticed that both door panels were separating from the door frames. I took it back to the dealer for repair. They told me that due to their own oversight some small parts were missing that fasten the door panels to the door frames. They replaced those small parts (I'll call them connectors). Once those connectors were properly installed, the gap between the door panels and the door frames was gone, and everything was as good as new.

BOTTOM LINE: You need to take the car into the dealer and ask them to replace any missing or broken connectors that are necessary to secure your door panel to the frame. That will correct the problem that you sited here.