Is this a dreaded Recal?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2006, 08:02 AM
Hybrid True Believer
Default Is this a dreaded Recal?

I have a 2003 HCH (purchased 6/2002) and it has 108k miles. This past year, about 80% of my driving has been stop-and-go city traffic (since I changed jobs). What I've noticed sometimes is that the IMA gauge will drop from a halfway charge down to zero really fast, and then the system will recharge very rapidly to nearly 100%. This has only happened about four times in the past three months, and always during city driving (when the IMA gets heavily used).

Is this a "Dreaded Recal"?
Does this mean the IMA battery is starting to get weak?
Can a HCH-I run on a nearly defunct battery?

I do want to get a 2nd or 3rd generation hybrid, but I'm trying to stick it out two more years to see if any of the hybrids use Lithium Ion technology. Or, better yet, if Saturn really does make a PHEV Vue in 2008.

Old 12-24-2006, 09:03 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Is this a dreaded Recal?

Was it also very cold when this happenned? I had this happen once on my HCH2 after two short 3 mile trips over the weekend and it occurred on my Monday morning drive to work which was around freezing all weekend. My car was only a few months old so maybe it was just a normal recal on yours. From what I know all the HCH's can operate without the battery though it'll feel really slow. After my first experience I try not to let the SOC go below 6 for the winter and it's not done that to me since.