Driving across country

Old 05-10-2008, 01:42 PM
Enthusiast
Default Driving across country

Hello all, long time lurker here. I was thinking of getting a new Honda hybrid for my trip across the country and back. California to Maryland. The car I have now is almost 10 years old.

I will not have alot of time to drive it around before I leave since I will be out of state for almost a month before I leave, so no real break in period before the long haul. What sort of miles should I try and put on it before I take off?

Hows it handel for a drive like that? Ive test driven one but that was for like 5 mins lol. So if anyone has driven really far on a trip with theres id love to hear about it.

Im going to the dealership on Saturday so we shall see if I pick one up.

thanks
Matt

Old 05-10-2008, 10:08 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Driving across country

Did you pick up a new hybrid? I believe the break in period of my HCH II was around 500 but I noticed an improvement in mileage around the 2-3000 mile mark. I've driven the car non-stop from LA to SF a couple times and been able to secure upper 40s and a 50 miles per gallon driving around 68 miles per hour. When I know the ride is flat I put on the cruise control to save my legs/foot. Some folks find the car uncomfortable but I don't, even with 40 psi in the tires. 32 is standard from the dealer. My first oil change was at around 8000 miles. It's a great car and with each month that passes and the gas prices rising, I'm really glad I bought one.

Old 05-10-2008, 10:20 PM
Energy Independence

Welcome, edsel (luv the name!).
I took a long 4300 mile trip in my HCH2 in late March. Car drove like a dream. NO issues, even in the high altitude desert/mountains of the great southwest. Wife and I went from Dallas, TX area westward to Amarillo, then to Gallup, NM, and I-40 west to the Painted Desert/Petrified Forest. Canyon De Chelle, on westward to Flagstaff and the Grand Canyon - South Rim (and WOW!). Then to Hoover Dam (near Las Vegas), then to LA. Strolled (on foot) around Santa Monica beachfront (& the strand). Then headed south to San Diego, then east on I-8 and I-10. Through southern AZ, Walnut Canyon, Sedona, then up to El Paso, Carlsbad Caverns (cool!), and back to Dallas. We visited a lot of National Parks and some State Parks. We were gone 15 days. 46+ MPG.

I'd take it on another trip like it (or even longer) in a second. It loves the open road!

IF you buy one, try to get 5-600 miles under your belt before heading out. It's not critical, though. Just be sure to vary the engine RPMs for the first 600 miles or so. This is true in just about ANY new vehicle, BTW.

Old 05-11-2008, 09:18 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks guys for the replys. No I havent picked one up yet, im going next Saturday. I think im going to try and get one with the nav system.

I saw someone with one yesterday at blockbuster and she said she loved the car, so that was pretty convencing to me to pick one up.

pBen thanks for saying how fast you were going, at least I know I dont have to be going 60 or so to still get good mileage.

I used to own an Edsel, you want to talk about a car that got no gas mileage haha. I had to sell it though to make room

Thanks
Matt