Drove 06 EX coupe and LX 4 door today

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2005, 07:19 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Drove 06 EX coupe and LX 4 door today

I did a 100 mile trip each in a 06 EX coupe and LX 4 door today. (Not Hybrids)
Quick findings:
1. They are quieter than the 05 Civics. HCH should be really quiet if any indication.
2. Seem to get better mileage, but did not measure. Heard salesman say that someone got over 40 mpg on their first tank in non hybrid.
3. Parking brake handle in way of knee as others have mentioned.
4. Steering is really quick. You have to barely move it at 60 + mph or you will be in a spin. Since HCH will have electric steering, it may be much different, dont know!
5. Gearshift is goofy and not nearly as nice looking as 05s. Looks like an afterthought addition from PepBoys.
6. More storage space between front seats.
7. Like the gauge arrg, but you are nearly 3 feet from the speedodometer. Takes getting use too.
8. Somehow I got the feeling that the quality or solidity was not as good as 05, but need to drive more of them before I am sure.
9. Apparently no way to change the radio to an aftermarket one as it is part of the dash like the Accord. Radio is nice though and should do for most folks. Do not understand why Honda did not put the XM converter on all of them. Guess it was so they can chg $400-500 for a $50 part.
10. Also, dealers on both ends say they are not getting but a couple of HCHs in in next month.
11. Overall, the new Civic should be a well received vehicle for the most part.