Engine light

Old 08-30-2004, 05:14 AM

To all:

Well after almost two years and 48 thousand miles of trouble-free driving, my '04 MT HCH has finally started acting like a real car.

My engine light has now come on twice in the past 2 weeks.

The first time it stayed on for about 150 miles, then went out. The second time it was on for about 80 miles before going out. It is currently not lit. Both times I had less than a quarter of a tank of gas left. The condition persisted over numerous engine stop/starts both times.

I checked the usual suspects of course: Oil and coolant levels were good, checked the gas cap (it was tight), the weather wasn't extreme (actually it's been a very cool, but wet, summer in upstate NY). Except for the light being on, the car acted normally.

The only thing I have noticed is that my avg MPG started out lower subsequent to me filling the tank after the light went out. Usually I will be in the 55 MPG range after the first 50-75 miles after a fill-up but the two tanks I have filled since the light started coming on have averaged about 50 MPG for the first 50-75 miles. But I haven't seen my overall milage drop. My last two tanks in the database reflect the tanks used when the light came on, respectively.

I will probably just operate on the three strikes rule here, or have the dealer check it out at my next oil change, whichever comes first.

In the meantime, any thoughts? Has this happened to anyone else? Thanks in advance.

MC

Old 08-30-2004, 09:36 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hi Mrkcohen:

___I had a CEL pop on my 03 Corolla LE at 58,000 a few months ago. Having a Code reader available, the code after a google search was something like “CAT not up to efficiency”? Anyways, an appointment with the dealer and the new yet barely under warranty CAT was installed. If you have a Pep Boys near you, they will hook you up and tell you what is wrong for free rather then a dealers $50.00 - $75.00 just to connect the OBD-II scan tool and turn it on … It could be anything but hopefully it is something minor that can be repaired w/ a minimum of hassle and more importantly, minimal expense. If it is an emission HW item, in it goes and on Honda’s dime …

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Old 08-30-2004, 12:00 PM

Originally posted by xcel@Aug 30th 2004 @ 11:36 AM
Hi Mrkcohen:

CEL pop
CAT not up to efficiency
the OBD-II scan tool
HW
abreviations.
Grrrrrr
I think HW is hardware.
what are the other ones?
I just figured out FCD is fuel consumption display.

Using abreviations is not friendly to newbies dropping in, and dummies like me.

Old 08-30-2004, 02:52 PM

kenny,
not sure about CEL, but CAT is short for catolytic converter, OBD-II...well, not sure about the name, but its a little plug in that reads the cars "vital" signs. HW...yah, i think you got that one.
cheers,
Steven

Old 08-31-2004, 12:45 AM

Hi All:

___The acronyms posted are the bread and butter of any automobile enthusiast.

CEL: Check Engine Light or sometimes referred to as a MIL: Malfunction Indicator light

CAT: Catalytic Converter

OBD-II: On Board Diagnostic. This is the actual output of some of the sensors telling the ECU computer what is going on with your car.

Scan Tool: A serial interface electronic tool (PC, Laptop, Palm, PDA) that attaches to your cars OBD-II port and reads the codes or data in real time. SW varies but can be as limited as reading a few codes to reading everything and allowing manipulation in real time for diagnostics reasons. You can also clear codes (CEL) if the actual parameter has dropped back into its non-problematic pre-determined range.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

Old 08-31-2004, 04:37 AM

Thanks for explaining.
I am not an auto enthusiast.

I suspect being a public forum that is trying to grow and appeal to everyone and even sell things we'd like to remain inclusive, not be exclusive.

Maybe an aconym look up button would be useful?

Old 08-31-2004, 07:07 AM

First, reading my original post, I see I called my '03 HCH an '04. It is the 2003 model.

Aren't acronyms fun? Here's my favorite:

ATA - Another Three-letter Acronym

Being in the compter field now and the automotive field in a previous life, I understood most of Wayne's post. ODB-II is new to me though.

Wayne, is ODB-II a global standard. Also is there an easy way for me to turn my laptop into an ODB-II scanner. It seems all I would need is the right interface cable and some software.

Thanks again.

MC

Old 08-31-2004, 08:27 AM

Hi Mrkcohen:

___There sure is … About the cheapest OBD-II Scan tool setup I know of is by a company called OBD-2. The owner/coder was instrumental in the initial coding of both OBD-I and II for the entire automotive industry IIRC? $122.00 with unlimited SW upgrades (the guy is pretty good about this over the last 2 years I have been interested) and the HW interface cable.

OBD-2

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

Old 10-03-2004, 06:51 AM

To all:

Well I finally got around to getting my CEL checked. The dealer tells me it is the catalytic converter that is returning the error.

They have ordered the part and I have an appontment to get it installed Oct 19.

The repair WILL be covered by the warranty.

One of the guys I work with tells me that he saw or read a news story that mentions hybrids (he wasn't sure if it was the HCH specifically) having catalytic converter problems. Has anybody seen or heard anything about this issue?

Thanks in advance.

MC

Old 10-03-2004, 09:04 AM
Site Founder

Not that I really know much about catalytic converters, but I haven't heard about this.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Engine light

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands