EV mode in an 06 Civic Hybrid?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 07:47 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default EV mode in an 06 Civic Hybrid?

I just picked up my HCH II on Monday nite on 4/10 and have already put over 650 miles on it in 4 days. My daily commute is between 150 to 170 miles per day - which is why I traded in my SUV for it. I went from 18 mpg to over 41 mpg on my first tank - I'm actually at 43 mpg on my second tank.

I've been reading some confliciting info on the "EV mode" on a 06 Civic Hybrid as far as what speeds it will enter the mode.

Anyway, I think I've been able to enter EV mode in speeds as high almost 50 mph. What I think is the EV mode is when the MPG dial on hits 100 and the Assist "gauge" has 1 to 3 bars. Is that right or am I completely off the mark?

I really miss driving my SUV, as well as my full size pick up - this is my first car in the last 6 years (been driving SUV's and pick ups) - but with gas approach $3/gallon I am glad I made the switch. I have been very impressed with how well it works at highway speeds (I can cruise at 80 mph+ just like my old SUV).

Old 04-14-2006, 08:03 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: EV mode in an 06 Civic Hybrid?

Originally Posted by gchu
I've been reading some confliciting info on the "EV mode" on a 06 Civic Hybrid as far as what speeds it will enter the mode.

Anyway, I think I've been able to enter EV mode in speeds as high almost 50 mph. What I think is the EV mode is when the MPG dial on hits 100 and the Assist "gauge" has 1 to 3 bars. Is that right or am I completely off the mark?
You are right on target! The MPG guage will be pegged out at 100 and one to four bars of assist. Also, your Tach will be right around 1000 RPM. Once you get a hang for the car you will npow right away with out even looking when you are in EV mode. According to Honda, the car will stay in EV mode up 35 MPH. You must be on fairly flat ground and you will maintain your current speed (don't expect to accelerate in EV mode unless you are going down hill). I have been able to reach EV mode at highway speeds for short periods of time. The fastest I have been in EV mode was 77 MPH on a slight decline drafting behind an 18 wheeler. At this speed, the tach will be closer to 1500-1700 RPM. Also, I have accomplished 'long' range continious EV mode just over three miles. I will accelarate to about 5MPH over my desired speed. Then release the gas and re-engauge to reach EV mode. I try to keep a steady foot to maintain only one bar of assist, to make the battery last longer. The car will continue in EV mode over small hills but my speed will decrase (this is why I start off 5 MPH over desired speed). On the downhill the car will regain speed. This process usually takes between two to three bars on a full battery and could last longer.

Old 04-15-2006, 05:21 AM
Hybrid True Believer

I guess the thing I don't understand is how Honda says the HCH has an EV mode when the engine keeps running. Shouldn't the tachometer show zero engine activity if it is in EV mode?

What it sounds like Honda *actually* engineered is a sort of "standby" mode in which engine activity is greatly reduced. That's not the same as pure EV like the Prius can do.

Old 04-15-2006, 08:50 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AshenGrey
I guess the thing I don't understand is how Honda says the HCH has an EV mode when the engine keeps running. Shouldn't the tachometer show zero engine activity if it is in EV mode?

What it sounds like Honda *actually* engineered is a sort of "standby" mode in which engine activity is greatly reduced. That's not the same as pure EV like the Prius can do.
Here, watch this video: http://world.honda.com/HDTV/news/2005-4050705b/

I would explain it but the video illustrates it better and the video is just cool. It takes some time download. It's not full EV mode in the same sense as the Prius.

Old 04-15-2006, 08:59 AM
Proud owner HCHII

Thanks Adam.

I was about to say the same thing.

Essentialy the electric motor is attached to the crankshaft and is therefore always turning.

The video is worth saving and more exciting by far than an xxx rated movie!

Old 04-15-2006, 07:17 PM
Active Enthusiast

Adam,

Thanks for the reply! I had thought that was the "EV mode" but was a little confused by all the articles and reviews that said that it was extremely difficult/rare to actually get into "EV mode". By the third day of driving my HCH II, I can get it to go "EV" whenever the road and traffic allows me to. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't imagining things or if my HCH II was acting flukey.

Either way, I am very glad I got the HCH II - especially since I just paid almost $3/gallon to fill up my wife's SUV! Good thing she only drives about 20 - 30 miles/day vs my 150 - 170 miles/day!

This is a great site and I am sure to find more useful techniques to improve my mpg - although slowing down will not be one that I can use!

Old 04-15-2006, 10:39 PM

You're correct that the HCH's EV mode is nothing like that of Toyota's or Ford's hybrids. The HCH can only run the motor at 10-30% power after you've coasted and the engine stops burning gas (but stays connected to the wheels so it keeps spinning), and since the motor is 20HP to begin with, there's very little motive force being applied.

Old 04-16-2006, 05:23 PM
Hybrid True Believer

Originally Posted by CGameProgrammer
You're correct that the HCH's EV mode is nothing like that of Toyota's or Ford's hybrids. The HCH can only run the motor at 10-30% power after you've coasted and the engine stops burning gas (but stays connected to the wheels so it keeps spinning), and since the motor is 20HP to begin with, there's very little motive force being applied.

This pretty much proves my point that what the HCH-II has isn't an EV mode, but instead merely a more efficient low-speed engine-idle mode. That's ok, though, since Honda doesn't call it EV either.

Of course, it's the real-world results that count. The HCH-II gets almost the same real-world mileage as the much more complicated Prius.

Old 04-16-2006, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by AshenGrey
Of course, it's the real-world results that count. The HCH-II gets almost the same real-world mileage as the much more complicated Prius.
Actually I get around 8 mpg better in a Prius than my 2006 HCH. I suspect most of the HCH drivers on this site drive more gently than the Prius drivers, or they hypermile it more... I'm not a very conservative driver and I average 38-39 mpg in my car, but averaged 46 mpg when renting a Prius.

Old 04-16-2006, 09:07 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CGameProgrammer
I suspect most of the HCH drivers on this site drive more gently than the Prius drivers, or they hypermile it more...
given the number of vehicles in the database, i would be surprised to find the data skewed toward hypermilers.

Quick Reply: EV mode in an 06 Civic Hybrid?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands