Evolution of MPG function of Use?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2006, 09:38 PM
Tim
Enchanter, Enthusiast
Default Re: Evolution of MPG function of Use?

Originally Posted by masgian
I'm getting now around 49 and I'm close to 1k miles. Should I expect any changes in a couple of thousends while the car breaks in? And if yes, what would be a realistic level? Will go to 55 or so?
That would be difficult to predict in your 2006. All you new 06 owners got your cars in the winter (at least, for most of the US). Even those that own them in warm climates, they're all still breaking in. I wouldn't expect good 2006 data until the summer, when they're all broken in and weather is not a factor. I think we're all anxious to see what these HCH II's can do.

Last edited by Tim; 01-27-2006 at 09:42 PM.
Old 01-29-2006, 09:53 AM
Active Enthusiast

Yesterday I filled her up second time... then drove 116 miles and had 62 mpg average !!!! after a while, I got stuck in a Traffic jam and the carpool lane ppl where passing like bullets, I dont have my stickers yet ... imagine my feelings. My average went down to 52.1 ... heh. anyway, the whole day was a 198 miles and had a 51.x average. day started with previous tank anyway. I'm still trying to do better and looks like there is potential to do much better. I strongly believe that a 65 can be done with some attention...

Old 01-29-2006, 09:56 AM
YA RLY.

Originally Posted by Tim
I think we're all anxious to see what these HCH II's can do.
You have no idea.

/need summer now!

Old 01-29-2006, 10:01 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sledge
You have no idea.

/need summer now!

Move to Socal Now....

Old 01-29-2006, 11:54 AM
Active Enthusiast

revelation today... 64.8 on my 15 miles to office. I know Its only 15 miles, but with traffic lights, eratic drivers and minvans sleeping on the road... Dident drove very slow, just within limits. no freeway. it's kind of flat, few downhill but also uphill.... nothing steep. it's being kind of warm temp today and looks it's a tremendous importance...

Old 01-29-2006, 12:12 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

--

Last edited by xcel; 12-02-2007 at 05:59 PM.
Old 01-29-2006, 05:08 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by masgian
...It's being kind of warm temp today and looks it's a tremendous importance...
Just to add another data point - earlier this week I drove to work with the temperature hovering around 0F. The roads were clear, I had a 4 mph headwind, and a 200ft climb over 33 miles. I got 39.8mpg. I have several other data points where I got around 46.5 mpg at 25F for the same route with similar road/wind conditions . So yeah, it's pretty important.

Anyway, the FE gods smiled on me later as the temperature rose to 45F, I had a 5-10 mph tailwind, and I nailed a 55.1mpg on the way home. So it all works out. I even managed a 49.4 on my last tank, with an average temp of 30F. I'm pretty tickled with the car as I was only expecting low 40's at this point (but yeah, I know, we've had a mild winter so far). I've already marked April 1 on my calendar as the day the snow tires come off - then maybe I'll start to see some hypermiler numbers.

Old 01-29-2006, 06:50 PM
now Insight, had an HCH

In my part of the world I've got 59.0 over 325 miles on my FCD on my '03 HCH. I'm dying to know what some of the local '06 HCH's are doing. They got to be getting super mileage as well, the weather has been perfect for it the last few weeks. Haven't had a chance to talk to a new owner around here yet, I have seen around 5 or 6 different ones though.

Old 01-29-2006, 07:15 PM
06 HCH

I've been driving my 06 hybrid since Jan 2nd. Funny thing I noticed is that my MPG seems to increase (34-40ish) when its raining. Perhaps its due to the milder temp. which sometimes goes along with the rain. BTW I live in NY, Long Island. Any other thoughts?

Old 01-29-2006, 07:28 PM
now Insight, had an HCH

If it's a heavier rain it should be worse mileage. More resistance on the tires. I notice a much better increase with a humid light mist. I've suggested it working as a "water injection" before but most have laughed it off saying water injection is an old wive's tale. It's probably the milder temp though, much better than the cold air the car is used to in it's short life.

Originally Posted by jamriman
I've been driving my 06 hybrid since Jan 2nd. Funny thing I noticed is that my MPG seems to increase (34-40ish) when its raining. Perhaps its due to the milder temp. which sometimes goes along with the rain. BTW I live in NY, Long Island. Any other thoughts?

Quick Reply: Evolution of MPG function of Use?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands