Extended warranty GE or Honda care?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 02:56 PM
Enthusiast
Default Extended warranty GE or Honda care?

I was at the dealership when I picked up my Honda Civic hybrid 06. Was deciding among the warranties. My dealer only sells GE warranty and it's pretty competitive with the Honda Care warranty. Any feedback on the GE warranty? Should I go with that or consider the honda care from one of the web-sites?

On another note...feels great to have a good mileage car. Looking forward to the tax credits as well.

Old 10-25-2006, 06:56 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Extended warranty GE or Honda care?

I'd stick with the Honda. It's not too often that you can get this kind of extended warranty offered by the manufacturer.

Old 10-25-2006, 07:30 PM
Enthusiast

So go ahead and get the online Honda Care warranty? Also, besides making sure that all logs of the oil change are kept, are there any other records we need to keep to make sure we stay qualified for the warranty? Another question is...when I take the 8year/120K warranty...its essentially increasing the default 3year/36K bumper to bumper warranty to 8year/120K. Right?

Old 10-26-2006, 08:58 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kaisersoesce
So go ahead and get the online Honda Care warranty? Also, besides making sure that all logs of the oil change are kept, are there any other records we need to keep to make sure we stay qualified for the warranty? Another question is...when I take the 8year/120K warranty...its essentially increasing the default 3year/36K bumper to bumper warranty to 8year/120K. Right?
Yea. Go to www.myhondawarranty.com to order. Read up to confirm. I went for the 6 yr., 120K. Depending on your driving you'd probably hit the miles before the time of 8 years.

Old 10-26-2006, 10:38 AM
Enthusiast

I will go for the 8 year, 100K warranty. We got another car and will be splitting the miles between the two. thanks for the info.

Old 10-26-2006, 07:32 PM
Energy Independence

Originally Posted by kaisersoesce
...when I take the 8year/120K warranty...its essentially increasing the default 3year/36K bumper to bumper warranty to 8year/120K. Right?
An extended warranty is NOT a bumper-to-bumper warranty. None that I've seen are, anyway. The HondaCare warranty covers a lot of the expensive items, though. It will cover the transmission, the major components of the engine, AC, steering system, etc. But it probably does not cover many (if any) cosmetic items: trim pieces falling off or squeaking and rattling, spolier lifting, etc. It also does not cover things like cables, belts, hoses, normal timing belt replacement, exhaust system, including the catalytic converter (this is a big exclusion), body parts, paint, moldings, body seals & weather-strips, etc.

It IS pretty comprehensive coverage for most major things, though.
To me it was well worth the $980 just for peace of mind, even if I never use it.
It is also transferrable to a new owner for a $50 fee.

Old 10-26-2006, 09:11 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gumby
including the catalytic converter (this is a big exclusion),
Under CA law we've got that taken care of Catalytic converters are covered under Federal law BTW.

"Under the California Emissions Warranty, all emissions related parts are covered for 3 years or 50,000 miles*, and a vehicle-specific list if more expensive emissions related parts is covered for 7 years or 70,000 miles*. In addition, the 8year or 80,000 mile* coverage for the catalytic converter and engine control unit required by Federal law also applies. Also, some 2003 and later models, certified as (PZEV), have 15 year or 150,000 mile* emissions warranties essentially covering any component that causes the Check Engine Light to illuminate."

Federal Emissions Warranty – Under the Federal Emissions Warranty, all emissions related parts arecovered for 2 years or 24,000 miles*, with the catalytic converter and engine control unit (the computer)covered for 8 years or 80,000 miles*.

Check your own State for applicable coverage.

Last edited by SrfCity; 10-26-2006 at 09:18 PM.