Fan starts running when shut off?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2005, 02:46 PM
Default Re: Fan starts running when shut off?

I know my old metro did the same thing. I wonder if it has any relation to aluminum engines? Seems like the electric fan was put into production about the same time as aluminum engines were

I think my wifes 4cyl accord does the same thing too.

Old 11-08-2005, 05:37 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AlmostInsight
I wonder if it happens when the water stops circulating, and the hot water rises to the sensor that turns on the fan. Or if it is programmed to run at a lower temp. when shut off to stop from overheating engine compartment?
Is it all civics or just HCH?
Every car I've seen with an electric cooling fan (most are these days) does that occasionally. When you stop, the engine is still hot and there's no airflow over the radiator to cool it. I don't know if the water (coolant) pump continues to work too until the engine has cooled off enough.

In the old days, when engines used to overheat more, stopping and turning off a hot engine would immediately stop the belt-driven fan and could easily cause the radiator to boil over.

Old 11-08-2005, 05:48 PM
Enthusiast

I've had several front wheel drive cars with electric fans, and they only turned on when the vehicle was shut off in pretty hot weather when using the A/C usaully. But the HCH turns on almost everytime (40 degrees out even)

Old 06-10-2009, 12:30 PM
Active Enthusiast

Ok! Here's an opposite problem. My radiator fan USE to keep going for a few minutes when I shut off the car. It has not done that now for about 4 months? Does anyone know if I blew a fuse or something? The car runs just fine and doesn't even come close to overheating.

Howard

Old 06-16-2009, 02:43 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

maybe check the fuse box in the engine bay - black plastic box with a cover near the driver-side fender