Fellow HCH hypermilers....

Old 06-24-2006, 03:39 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Fellow HCH hypermilers....

Originally Posted by Mr. Kite
Nice numbers!!!

Why do you stop after only 3.7 gallons? I know you guys look for every advantage you can get and it seems to me that this would only hurt your FE. For example, with this tank you were carrying around an average of 12 gallons of gasoline (75 pounds) for the life of that tank. If you used up all but one gallon, you would have carried around an average of about 7 gallons of gas. This would mean that the average weight of the car would be 30 pounds less over the lifetime of the tank. I know the effect is not much, but all effects are cumulative.
If you want to get obsessive about it, you could fill 3.7 but run nearly empty each time... then the average in the tank would be only slightly more than 2 gallons, or about 60 pounds less

Old 06-24-2006, 07:54 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Fellow HCH hypermilers....

Originally Posted by Double-Trinity
If you want to get obsessive about it, you could fill 3.7 but run nearly empty each time... then the average in the tank would be only slightly more than 2 gallons, or about 60 pounds less
I think you're on to something there.

People are already obsessive about it--"not that there's anything wrong with that." I know the difference probably isn't much, but then again, neither is getting out to push your car. I was just puzzled why lakedude carried around the extra weight--so I asked.

Anyway, it's a good idea if you are on a road trip and at the last gas station for the next 600 miles.