First HCH-II Hypermiler!

Old 12-14-2005, 10:19 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default First HCH-II Hypermiler!

Congrats to geophrey! He's also the first to hit 3,000 miles.

https://www.greenhybrid.com/compare/.../car/1610.html

Old 12-14-2005, 10:47 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: First HCH-II Hypermiler!

Very nice. Congrats! Jeff, are you in SoCal? Do you drive lots of hills in suburbs? Those are the trips that keep my FE under 50 mpg. I do fine on highways (50-55) and in flat stop-and-go traffic (50ish), but not on hills in the neighborhood.

Old 12-14-2005, 11:29 AM
Active Enthusiast
Thumbs up Re: First HCH-II Hypermiler!

Originally Posted by dlingner
Those are the trips that keep my FE under 50 mpg.
Careful! Some who post here would say you aren't trying hard enough , or that you don't care about FE because you don't put enough effort into it . However, as a fellow SoCal driver of an HCHII, I agree with you.

Don

Old 12-14-2005, 11:37 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dshelman
Careful! Some who post here would say you aren't trying hard enough , or that you don't care about FE because you don't put enough effort into it . However, as a fellow SoCal driver of an HCHII, I agree with you.

Don
Just looking for tips on how to drive efficiently on hills. I figured the question would be an indication of effort.

Old 12-14-2005, 11:51 AM

dlingner is zip code 92129, I'm 92126. Yes, San Diego has alot of hills. Assuming traffic and stoplights don't prevent this, the most efficient way over hills is to accelerate gently but to a good speed on level or downhill areas before you approach an uphill, then go over the hill while being easy on the throttle and letting yourself decelerate a bit.

I don't do that, of course; I just grin and bear it and drive normally over the hill. Of course I have been experimenting with using S-mode but that's only good when a long highway drive is ahead.

Old 12-14-2005, 12:05 PM
Active Enthusiast

92656 -- Aliso Viejo near Laguna Beach. Very hilly. I have to try harder.

Old 12-14-2005, 12:32 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dshelman
92656 -- Aliso Viejo near Laguna Beach. Very hilly. I have to try harder.
I live in 92672, and usually drive through 92656 a few times a week. I know what you're talking about--Lots of grades with signals on them. The best you can do is what has already been suggested about Driving with load.

Another technique if you're very obsessive (I've experimented with this, though don't do it regularly) is to run your A/C on max when going down the steeper grades, then switch back to your set temperature on the flats/inclines. This will allow you to do most of the work cooling the car using "waste" energy, the rest of the time the A/C should be able to hold temperature just using the fans and slight compressor load. (You have to love living in a place that can be warm enough in December to justify air conditioning )

Of course I have been experimenting with using S-mode but that's only good when a long highway drive is ahead.
You would likely want the opposite strategy on surface streets with short but steep rollling hills-- since there are so many places to get regen, you'd want more aggressive assist if possible. Aliso Viejo is one of the few places I've actually put wear on my brake pads, from having a full battery.

Old 12-14-2005, 12:53 PM
Active Enthusiast
Thumbs up Re: First HCH-II Hypermiler!

Thanks, D-T, for a genuinely helpful and comprehensive post. I'll try to keep some of the more obsessive techniques in mind when I have to run the air! Actually, I welcome our winter -- not cold enough to hurt FE, but cool enough to avoid A/C. Plus, I just like to wear sweaters!

Don wants a

Old 12-14-2005, 01:50 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Contratualtions geophrey!

Can't wait till I get my 06 in April.

Old 12-14-2005, 02:01 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hi All:

___An excellent example to follow given he does climb hills and such. At least I think he is given ~ 80 - 100 miles per day ... and no excuses

___Kenny, are you getting rid of the 04 or simply adding to your fleet? It will be very interesting to see your lmpg as I am sure you will hit the ground running while teaching these young whippersnappers (and naysayers ) a thing or two about hypermiling an HCH-II right off the lot! What is Hot_Georgia_2004 going to do all by his lonesome at the top with nobody pushing him anymore

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: First HCH-II Hypermiler!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands