Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2005, 02:10 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: First HCH-II Hypermiler!

Wayne I'm starting a new thread.

Old 12-16-2005, 12:26 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: First HCH-II Hypermiler!

Thanks for everyone’s praise and support. I never really knew about “hypermiler” until I bought my civic and found this site. In fact, all of my driving techniques come from this site. However, if anyone is curious (which they are probably not), I will give a general overview of how I drive for comparison.

-From a stop, merging on the freeway, or just passing a car I generally accelerate between 2.5K to 3K rmp’s (rarely above 3K).

-Do my best to cruse around 60-65 on the freeway with my foot barely on the gas to maintain 2K rmp’s. Sometimes on a downhill stretch, I might reach 75-80mph but not often.

-On the street, I am using doing around ~ 35mph with my foot on the gas to tray and maintain about 1K rmp’s.

Other than that I think I drive about the same (coasting to stops, etc) as other hybrid owners.

P.S.

Accelerating slowly from a stop saved my life today as I was able to stop after my light turned green and avoid a truck that ran a red light that would have driven straight into my door if I had taken off from the light as I used to before I purchased the civic.

Old 12-18-2005, 04:14 PM
G.H. Contributor
Arrow Re: First HCH-II Hypermiler!

Jeff; Close Call; Glad you made it without incident I can tell you this, here where I live you had better not even think about taking off like a Jack-Rabbit at a light if you want to stay in one piece.

Nice To Be Alive; Right?

Terry

Old 12-19-2005, 06:24 AM
Active Enthusiast
Thumbs up Re: First HCH-II Hypermiler!

Hi Geophrey,

The info that you gave on the way you drive is exactly what a lot of people like to know. I, for one, did try and found it really helped my fuel consumption! Saturday, in low traffic city driving, I saw 5 l / 100km (which is 47MPG!) and this morning, my daily commute was 5.9 l / 100km (which is 40MPG). This morning's commute was a full 0.5 l / 100km better than what I was getting!

A truely great post!

Thanks,
Stephane.

Originally Posted by geophrey
Thanks for everyone’s praise and support. I never really knew about “hypermiler” until I bought my civic and found this site. In fact, all of my driving techniques come from this site. However, if anyone is curious (which they are probably not), I will give a general overview of how I drive for comparison.

-From a stop, merging on the freeway, or just passing a car I generally accelerate between 2.5K to 3K rmp’s (rarely above 3K).

-Do my best to cruse around 60-65 on the freeway with my foot barely on the gas to maintain 2K rmp’s. Sometimes on a downhill stretch, I might reach 75-80mph but not often.

-On the street, I am using doing around ~ 35mph with my foot on the gas to tray and maintain about 1K rmp’s.

Other than that I think I drive about the same (coasting to stops, etc) as other hybrid owners.

P.S.

Accelerating slowly from a stop saved my life today as I was able to stop after my light turned green and avoid a truck that ran a red light that would have driven straight into my door if I had taken off from the light as I used to before I purchased the civic.